Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Very high Latency and inconsistent download speeds

Hi all,

This is my first time on these forums and hopefully i can find some help for my horrible problem.

For the last 2-3 weeks my latency has consistently been 200+, i like to play online games alot and i cant with this latency. I have gone threw the whole drill of ringing BT and following there advice and i even had a BT engineer come out and he couldnt' find any problems. BT said they checked my line and couldn't find anything wrong, and the engineer didn't find any problems with the router (black).

I also have changed all of the wiring from the socket in the wall, which leads to the router, which leaders to a modem (i think its called that) that then connects me to the internet (Cable).

I am running out of patience as i spend alot of time on games such as Call of Duty and seeing my mates play it as i have 300+ ping is really annoying.

I Have noticed that the other computer my parents use also have the same high latency issue and they have tried it on cable and wireless with the same bad results. I have a program called xfire which shows my ping for all the servers on my list and there all 200+ but sometimes when i test my speeds on speedtest.net it shows me with 50 ping i believe this is due to the large spikes that i get, when im on call of duty it constantly jumps around 100, 150, 200 and sometimes even 50.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Josh.

Also im not very good with computers so if anyone would like any figures or whatever just point me to the website and ill try and get them for you.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1133172089.png

This looks ok but on xfire all the servers are at 300+ and when i go ingame there just as high.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
infinidim
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Very high Latency and inconsistent download speeds

Do you have a URL for the Xfire servers that you can share with us they I might be able to give you a reason why you have high latency.
Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Sure, it's not the server because i get it on other games aswell but i'll give you some IP's anyway.

193.47.83.236:28962

78.159.105.12:1024

0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
2550 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 2550 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3680 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps
0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

ADSL line status<script type="text/javascript"></script>

Connection information<script type="text/javascript"></script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time4 days, 23:46:32
Downstream3,680 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript"></script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.8 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)33
Loss of Signal (Local)3
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)78772 / 356
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1644 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 229
Error Seconds (Local)1827
0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Another Update:

Adjusted a setting in router settings, clamping was off and now i switched it to on.

At the moment im getting normal low ping (around 50) but its spiking every 15 seconds or so to 300 and then back down.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 8 of 11

I have had a look at the two addresses that you supplied. One just went nowhere. The other is a company in Germany and the 50 / 60 ms ping value is a good one for the location in Frankfurt. I assume that you are using BT Broadband so basically you will go to a MSAM / DSLAM from you home in the local exchange. From there you will end up ultimately in London via either the UK BT IP infrastructure or the 21CN platform ( I am not certain whether they are merged yet). In London you will go out via LINX (London Internet exchange) to Germany. I actually get fraudulent rDNS's when I try and find the path

I also sometimes see jumps in ping as high as 300 ms that might be because the schedulers in the core routers are treating your pings a standard data traffic and you might be sitting behind other traffic on your route to Frankfurt.

Hope this helps

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the reply but as i've already said, the problem isnt connecting to the server in Germany, because it happens in all servers on every game. It even happens when im not in a game.
0 Ratings
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Update:

For the most part now my ping is low but every minute or so it spikes to 400+ for about 20seconds.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TRY AND HELP ME.

Thanks, Josh

0 Ratings