I'm having some building work done at my house, and as part of it they first of all moved some old phone wiring, which meant the phone line was dreadful (on voice you could frequently not get a connection and when it worked would be very noisy). The internet as a result became ridiculously slow, to the point of being unusable. Subsequently, the line has been re-wired and the master socket moved such that it is about a foot of new cable from the incoming line to the new socket. All seems well on the voice front, but while the upstream bandwidth has moved a bit (to 1090kbps), downstream is still 258kbps.
The noise margin on downstream seems huge at 31db, which I assume is the problem:
|15:18:29, 19 Nov.||( 832.450000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 31.00 dB downstream|
|15:18:28, 19 Nov.||( 831.760000) DSL line rate: 1090 Kbps upstream, 286 Kbps downstream|
so I'm wondering if this will automatically reset, or does someone need to do something at the BT end to reset it? I had booked an engineer to come and look at the line but I imagine this will in fact be a waste of time? I've tried multiple filters, plugging straight into the test socket, multiple routers and so on to no avail. There are no phone extensions or indeed anything plugged into the phone but the modem at the moment.
Solved! Go to Solution.
PS I used to have about 16mbps downstream before this started, so the line inherently should be OK!
You will need to leave things alone for 3/5 days and then repost stats to see if the connection holds - the noise margin is currently very high because of the changes in wiring and you changing multiple routers. I presume Openreach did the wiring if external and moved the master socket (only they are authorised to do so). If there are any problems with the master socket/wiring that the builders moved then you will be charged for a visit.
OK thanks - so restarting the connection in fact slows it down by preventing it "settling" rather than re-syncing it?
Will leave it and see how we do.
One thing I forgot to point out was that after they'd checked the wiring originally, the upstream connection went from 300ish kbps to 1090 immediately - hence I thought just a restart should be enouhg to resync, but seemingly not.
you are in a banded profile due to all the line problems and resets. this should release automatically if you maintain connection for 3/5 days. if you get to 3+ days connection time then repost the last 2 line of stats and if no resets the 2 lines should be the same as already posted. the mods will then help get you out the bandiing
Thanks everyone for helping, left it alone and the router seemed to kick the connection this morning by itself and all is well:
|11:51:32, 21 Nov.||(161214.830000) DSL is up|
|11:51:30, 21 Nov.||(161213.120000) DSL noise margin: 6.60 dB upstream, 8.20 dB downstream|
|11:51:29, 21 Nov.||(161212.110000) DSL line rate: 1072 Kbps upstream, 18008 Kbps downstream|
|11:51:02, 21 Nov.||(161184.470000) DSL is down after 2672 minutes uptime|
|11:51:02, 21 Nov.||(161184.470000) ETHoA is down after 2672 minutes uptime|
|11:51:01, 21 Nov.||(161184.110000) PPPoA is down after 2672 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN DSL - Up)]|
|11:50:57, 21 Nov.||(161180.010000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]|
noise margin still higher than normal 6db so may yet reset with lower noise margin and bit faster speed