cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljw61
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Very high ping, very slow internet speed, no help from BT :-(

Im getting pings up to 1800+ and speeds as low as 0.12 mbps..My smart TV cant connect neither can my childrens i-pads or whatever theyre called.. Even when I connect the PC to the hub by a cable theres no improvement! Ive tried 'online chat' for help but theyre useless, Im utterly **** off with being told its my fault and to repeatedly check my connections ,sockets & cables etc. , theyre all fine!

Ive been with BT for just over a year and Im hacked off with the slow speeds and the poor customer service,I cant get through by phone ,I have to  give up after waiting over  10- 20 mins  each time.. ..How the heck can I get this sorted other than by leaving BT ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Very high ping, very slow internet speed, no help from BT :-(

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
ljw61
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi, and thanks.

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

Yes, tried that with new filter. Not sure how quit the line should be  - dead silent or a very faint ackground hiss/crackle? 

f using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Well, I couldnt find the two lines related to DSL noise margin/DSL line rate...

bt.jpg   .   The problem (almost) corrected itself for a while during the day giving me a ping of around 72  and a download of around4-5 mbps, but its back with a vengance this evening -  the wired test gave me ping 129. Download 0.12 😞

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

the two lines can be found in the hub logs using the WAN pulldown
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

can you also run a tracert in windows command prompt to bbc.co.uk and post the results back
0 Ratings
ljw61
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Unable to find any lines showing DSL noise or DSL line rate there at all .

0 Ratings
ljw61
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Just what IS wrong with BT and the Slloowww speeds?!

On a good day I might get 4Mbps, even then only for part of the day..On a bad day (which is 90% of the time ) Im getting less than 1mbps.

Its impossible to watch Netflix so Ive had to cancel that..Its diffcult loading Facebook now thats filled with images ...Scrolling through websites takes forever..

Why oh why cant BT fix this?

The engineers been out twice, says everythings fine inside the house  but theres no offer of checking the (overhead) outside lines or checking the lines to the nearest cabinet...

I'm seriously thinking of quitting BT but the fact that whoever I go with still has to provide a service through their copper wires makes me wonder if it'll help..

Is there a DIRECT number I can ring to speak to someone in England who isnt jusy troubleshooting from an  Indian based PC screen? I just took this screenshot!Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Re: Just what IS wrong with BT and the Slloowww speeds?!

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  Must be done with wired connection

can you enter your phone number and post results. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html    See if still same as before where you had fibre conenction available

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings