cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pixelated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Very low broadband speed, after dropping connection a few nights ago?

Hello wise people of the BT connection issue forum I have a little problem I'm sure it will get fixed but I wondered if you may be able to yet help me, a few nights ago my connection dropped out a couple of times through no fault of my own, now I know from what I have read so far I did the worst thing possible and reset my router but after doing so the speed dropped to 1.7Mbps from the usual 7-8Mbps again I have read up afterwards and left it alone as I think I have been lowered as the exchange thinks my line is unstable, but when should I expect to get the normal 7-8Mbps speed again as its currently very painful to do anything on the web.

Also to note if you do need some information my connection as been connected for 3 days as of now, and the last restart was me resetting the router, but a odd thing I noticed after looking at the event viewer the noise on the line shows as such 429496729.50 dB upstream, 10.60 dB downstream I'm fairly certain that is not normal, anyway any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Very low broadband speed, after dropping connection a few nights ago?

from your post I think you are using an old HH2.  if so can you post the adsl stats please

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection   do not reset before test 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pixelated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi Imjolly I'm using a HH4 currently, I will run the test wired tonight and post the details also the ADSL stats your after are those just the ones found under the advanced connection info, or do you need different ones, thanks again

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

if hh4 you need to go to troubleshooting then logs/wan and post the 2 lines showing your conenction speed and noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pixelated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

22:43:49, 05 Jan.( 3028.480000) DSL noise margin: 429496729.50 dB upstream, 10.60 dB downstream
22:43:48, 05 Jan.

( 3027.680000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 1783 Kbps downstream

That is the info for the last time it restarted this was just after I had maunally restarted the Hub but before that for a period of around a hour it was restarting every 10-20mins or some even seconds apart, but otherwise has been stable since and is almost at 4 days connected, prior to this it rarely disconnected the last time would of been mid December.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

something obviously wrong with up noise margin

can I suggest you restart the hub just once and repost the 2 lines of stats which you will see so can compare and see if conenction improves  if noise margin still high we can get mods to rseet it back to 6db as you have already posted stats with stable 4 days connection

0 Ratings
Pixelated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

OKay if you are sure about restarting the hub, do you want me to just restart is or shutdown and repower on?

also just for reference that I have currently a stable connection this is the following info:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 18:29:02
Downstream:1.742 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

a hub reset should be ok  it is just to drop connection and make hub reconnect to see if that helps  if not then get mod help to reset your noise margin

Pixelated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Looks like that sorted it, I feel a little supprised it was something so simple :X well best I left it rather than keep resetting it anyway, thank you again.

Now showing:

18:42:10, 09 Jan.( 87.610000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 9.10 dB downstream
18:42:09, 09 Jan.( 86.910000) DSL line rate: 984 Kbps upstream, 8952 Kbps downstream

which is how it was before the drop actually 200kb faster than before, I marked you as the solution imjolly thank you very much.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

the noise margin should reduce down to 6db given a stable connection 24/7  if still at 9db in 3 or 4 days time then repost your stats and we can see if mods will reset to 6db giving a bit more speed

0 Ratings