cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OPS
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Very low speed 0.5mbps

We have a new line to a new build house, so it's all new wiring inside and out. We were told we would get around 3.5mbps when signing up and our confirmation letter says 1.5 - 3.5. However we're only getting 0.5 on a good day. It's barely usable and just loading the forum took several minutes. Smiley Sad

We're plugged into the main socket, there's no extensions or test socket. I'm using my own router, tried bt's and the speed was lower.

Stats:

Update Counter : 28199
Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 3252809
Lan Rx : 2036514
ADSL Tx : 1159972
ADSL Rx : 1575785
CRC Down : 76
CRC Up : 1481
FEC Down : 2306
FEC Up : 60616
HEC Down : 2514
HEC Up : 38
SNR Up : 6.0
SNR Down : 7.0
Line Attenuation Up : 31.5
Line Attenuation Down : 63.5
Data Rate Up : 320
Data Rate Down : 544

Would appreciate some help, I used to have 8meg at previous address so this is pretty shocking. At this stage I'd be happy with the 1.5+ so it's actually usable.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Very low speed 0.5mbps

From the stats you have posted you appear to be a long way from the exchange

can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember to remove number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
OPS
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1.5--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 0.5--0.25 to 1Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------

Available

We're in the middle of a very large town. We're definitely not physically "far" from the exchange. Can only guess they are doing loops round the houses with the line. Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

With a 63.5 attenuation your line length is at least 4.6km and possibly even more as that is the max attenuation the router reports. It looks like you are on adslmax and from the checker your estimate is 0.5mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
OPS
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I looked up my exchange on samknows, seems I am quite far from my exhcange, but what I don't understand is, there's another exchange less than half the distance away! There's a 3rd echange that's just about closer too. Why would they use the one that's so far away? Smiley Frustrated

Assuming they aren't going to move the entire line, how can I get ADSL 2+? It seems that's what I should be on if that's what they used for my estimate.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Openreach won't connect you to a different exchange

with distance from the exchange I am not sure you wiuld benefit from adsl2 especially when taking into account that adsl2 is far more aggressive on line noise

Wholesale have put you on adslmax as your connection speed is so low.  The mods may be able to help get you onto adsl2 and they will post a contact us link. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

OlgaC
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 7

Hi OPS, 

Thanks for your post.

Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to help.

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings