Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
angeloedades
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Very noisy phone line and always engaged

Hi all,

My phone line has been very very very noisy that it is now impossible to hear someone over the phone.

Since we have a wireless phone, thought I would disconnect all electric appliances around the cordless phone like the TV, WAP, DVD Player but the noise still exists in the extension and also in the master socket.

I bought a corded phone to test it today and the noise still exist and now for some reason when rining my landline number from a mobile it says its engaged and when definitely is not!

I am at a lost here.

I have ran the bt line checker many times and it keeps on saying that it has not got any faults and the fault is after the demarcation point which I think is not.

Can anyone else offer any advice? perhaps how to "reset" the line so it is not engaged anymore, any advice would be good.

AE

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Very noisy phone line and always engaged

If you're getting these symptoms with the phone plugged into the test socket, then you've got a line fault.

The automated line tester is pretty useless, frankly - it seems to show only truly gross faults.

Report the line as faulty - noisy. If the noise is on the line when you speak to the help desk, get them to agree they hear the noise as well, and ask them to record this fact in the "Notes" fields in the faults database. Also - most important - get the fault reference number from the helpdesk person. You will need this if there is any subsequent dispute.

0 Ratings
angeloedades
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Somerled.

Im pretty reluctant to report it as a fault since I have been reading some of the posts here and it seems that BT will hunt you down in any way possible for teh £127.99.

I guess I will have to do this carefully to make sure that I have done all my tests.

Is there anything else that I should do before I report it?

Also I can't seem to make any incoming and outgoing calls now!

Thanks for the advice though.

AE

0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

You've done the important stuff - it's essential to emphasise that you've used the test socket, to remove any question of faults in your house wiring.

Make sure you record ALL your interactions with BT from here on (Time - date - name of person - statements made).  It's very sad that you have to do this, but there is a minority within  BT who do not hesitate to press unjustified charges on the customer. The reports on this and other forums speak for themselves.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@angeloedades wrote:

Thanks Somerled.

Im pretty reluctant to report it as a fault since I have been reading some of the posts here and it seems that BT will hunt you down in any way possible for teh £127.99.

I guess I will have to do this carefully to make sure that I have done all my tests.

Is there anything else that I should do before I report it?

Also I can't seem to make any incoming and outgoing calls now!

Thanks for the advice though.

AE

Thats why you need to record the noise your self and as said ask the op to recordd it and to agree that they can hear it plus get afew people to witness the noise

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
angeloedades
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hi Hamish,

At the current moment I will need to figure out a way to record it because I cannot even ring from and to the number of the line.

Any methods to assist in recording it ?

AE

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I used my digital camera  what about  mobile phone record as ring tone PC with microphone

I was lucky as on one occasion the help desk actually answerd and could hear the noise which they said sounded like test equipment left on line lo and behold it disappeared and all has been well since

I found an old analogue phone worked despite the noise where digital dect phone would not

good luck with it

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
JaseTee
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I have exactly the same fault! No one at BT wants to believe it! I have done all the troubleshooting. The only socket I have is the master and the only thing plugged into it is my homehub! Help!
0 Ratings
robin26
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

hi there,

if you just make sure that you try the master test socket with a corded phone. take out everything else including the adsl filter and router. if the noise is still there, you should report a noisy fault and get an engineer out. the test system will line test ok on most noisy faults until they get so bad that you lose dialtone altogether.

hope that helps

robin

0 Ratings