cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madonkey
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Very poor upload speeds even with replacement router

I've been experiencing very slow upload speeds for the past month. I used to get 10-15Mbps for the past 2 years, but in the past few weeks I have struggled to get over 1Mbps.

I have reported this to BT but have been told Upload Speed is not guaranteed and they will not admit there is a fault. I eventually got them to replace my Home Hub 5 after I was told there was a fault with it, but I have had the new router in for 3 days now and I am still experiencing very slow upload speeds.

Results from www.dslchecker.bt.com

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 19.57.00.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 19.58.29.png

Does this look like a line issue? What can I do to resolve this? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Very poor upload speeds even with replacement router

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
madonkey
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. I just tried the Quiet Line Test. I can hear a faint sound that seems to alternate between hiss and crackle. I take it I should report that?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

yes the line should be silent
0 Ratings
madonkey
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks. I'll try reporting that now!

0 Ratings
madonkey
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Post update:

After the Quiet Line Test a fault was detected on my line. I received text this morning to say the fault was repaired. I've reset my Home Hub and left it all day. My upload speed remains the same - around 1Mbps.

I'm not sure where to go from here? I need a fast upload speed for my job, for connecting with my offices VPN and transferring files.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

is the noise still there if it is you need an engineers visit to your home
0 Ratings
madonkey
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

I reported the fault again last week and BT told me they would have it fixed in a few days. I got a text saying the fault was repaired but nothing has changed. I can't get over 1Mbps Upload speed.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 20.15.22.png

Am I being throttled? It's a steady (lack of) speed. The upload doesn't fluctuate the way my Download speed does. This is getting really frustrating. I'm honestly wondering how soon I can switch to Virgin at this stage.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

You need an engineer visit.

Do you still have a noisy line? If not you need to report a broadband fault and escalate until an engineer is sent. Ignore if they say upload isn't guaranteed, keep escalating until you get an engineer.

With that download speed, I'd expect in excess of 12mbps upload, possibly closer to 15.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 10

@madonkey I'm sorry about the problems with your connection, if you need any help please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings