Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AaronB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Very slow Connection

Hey, 

I'm having problems with my broadband connection and was wondering if you techie people could have a look over these stats and give me an idead of whats going on.

I joined with BT option 1 about 2 months ago. I started out with almost a 3meg connection it was like this for a few days and then suddenly dropped to 0.5 meg at best. For years with pipex i had a 2meg connection so i dont really know what is going on.

I have now plugged the Home hub 3 into the master socket with nothing else connected except a microfilter (tried 2 different filters) and a BT accelerator installed. These are the stats on the home hub. 

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:06:17
Downstream:9.961 Mbps
Upstream:832 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):2.6 dB / 5.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):37.3 dB / 22.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):33168 / 331
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):11440 / 25
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2938 / 7501

These are the results from speedtester.bt.com.

IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 427 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :10196 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

Please can you look over these and give me some idea of what is going on?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Very slow Connection

you have a 9.9mb connection but your profile is very low at 500 instead of 8000.  this is probably due to all the resets which your have done trying to improve your connection.

if you stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner then your profile will rise automatically but no more resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

Hi welcome to the forum

Your connection is currently at 10mb the reason for your low speed is due to a low ip profile this has been caused by disconnections have you been restarting the hub trying to increase your speed if so please stop you need to leave your hub connected 24/7for 3/5 days with NO restarts or disconnections to allow the exchange equipment to see your line as stable and allow your ip profile to rise again that will then increase your download speed (throughput )
AaronB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Many thanks for your quick response. I will leave it where it is now and see what happens. 

0 Ratings
AaronB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Its been 4 days now and my connection keeps resetting after a day and a half.

The first time it did it, it was switched from "FAST" to "Interleaved". This has sorted all of the problems with my online games but watching Iplayer or youtube is impossible! My IP profile is stuck at 500kbs.

Any other ideas as everything else seem's fine. Although there are alot of FEC events.

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 10:12:56
Downstream:10.4 Mbps
Upstream:816 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.1 dB / 3.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):37.4 dB / 22.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):59546416 / 75890
CRC Events (Down/Up):4809 / 916
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):10995 / 7985
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):49674 / 10785

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 418 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 418 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

you need to find the cause of the resets before getting your profile reset otherwise the disconnections will result in your profile dropping back in a few days or less.

your interleaving is working overtime with the very large number of FEC errors suggesting a noise problem on your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
AaronB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

I really have no idea what could be causing it. I am plugged into the master socket with the BT accelerator mounted on the socket. There are no other sockets in our house and the only other item plugged into the microfilter is a Bt telephone? could it be the telephone line to the exchange? Is there any way to test this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with corded phone  cordless will normally have dull hum.

if you have no other extension sockets the accelerator is not normally recommended as the idea is to reduce line noise caused by the extensions.  have you tried without the accelerator and if so did it make any difference good or bad?

0 Ratings
AaronB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Ihave tried the quiet line test and it was "whisper" quiet no crakling or noises of any sort. I will remove the accelerator then and give that a go.

many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 26

The reason the reset's could be occuring is because for some reason, your SNR margin level could be set to 3dB, as every new set of stats the SNR is always around there. It is not impossible for BT wholesale to have set your SNR this low, the normal is 6.
0 Ratings