Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Very slow broadband and frequent disconnects

Hi
I have been a new BT customer since April 2013 after moving to rural Scotland. They gave estimated speeds as 8Mb download and 2Mb upload which I was happy with considering location. For about 3 months those were the speeds we were getting until a phone fault which was traced to a loose copper wire at the exchange.

An engineer was sent, the fault repaired and things returned to normal for around 2 weeks until the router disconnected and since then despite untold hours on the phone to BT support, 3 routers and 2 engineers later, the issue remains unresolved. I'm at my wits end now and hope someone on here can help. We do have an Openreach engineer in the village but he takes cables out and doesn't have access to all the test equipment.

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 07:59:12
Downstream: 4.063 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.5 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 10.1 dB / 3.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 13.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 59064 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Btw, that download speed has been 8Mb all the time we've had the router installed but from yesterday which was really bad for disconnects (and you can see it has been off again in the night) it's now suddenly 4Mb.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Very slow broadband and frequent disconnects

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you  run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I am connected directly to the filter. This is all new equipment, less than a week old but I have tried a different filter (it was running at 6Mb for a short time) and it made no difference.

The master is the only socket available.
I have tried the quiet line test. A voice engineer came about two weeks ago and said the readings were some of the best for this area and we are a short way from the exchange.
I am not at my desktop yet but will run The speed and diag tests and post the results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi GraphiteGal,

From those ADSL stats it looks like your are on ADSL Max.  However, if you really had an Upstream speed of 2Mbps you must have been on ADSL2 or 2+.

I'm sure the CL's will be able to help you once they get on here.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

on these stats you cant get a 2mb up speed  a 2mb upspeed would need you to be on a fibre connection.

try entering your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try test socket and repost stats please

all the reset have increased your noise margin and dropped you connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I know the speed drops every time the router is reset. The problem is those disconnects are not our fault. They just occur randomly although they do sometimes coincide with timber wagons going past which would tie back in with the original fault of loose wiring in the exchange. Two engineers have been and confirmed this, fixed it and the speed is okay then we get disconnected again and obviously the speed drops.

2Mb was the "promised" speed before I entered into the contract. We have never had that - it's actually 0.36. Sorry I didn't make this clear in OP.

Here are the stats for the exchange:
elephone Number *********** on Exchange BARRHILL
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) - ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) - Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Downstream Range(Mbps) - For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Availability Date - The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

I tried running the test last night from The BT wholesale site and it failed each time. I will try later today and post.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep trying in the meantime.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

are you connected to test socket?  did you try quiet line test?

never seen results from the checker that showed upstream like you have shown  as you are on adslmax the max up speed is 448kbps   as I said you cannot get 2mb up speed unless on fibre and you don't appear to have fibre available

0 Ratings