Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Very slow broadband - can't identify problem

Hi all,

My home broadband is running very slow, it is a BT line running into the house, a microfilter plugged into the box with the only corded telephone in the house and a belkin router plugged into it.

The phone is also a bit crackly and sometimes disconnects the internet if picked up, so by looking at threads on here, I removed the bottom half of the box on the wall and tried plugging the phone directly into the test socket, and it worked great with no crackle. But when I plug the microfilter back into the main box sometimes the router takes about 5 attempts of re-wiring everything before it connects. I looked at the 4 gold pins inside the bix that screws off the box and one is very corroded, and has pretty much snapped off. So then I plugged the microfilter directly into the test socket and it connects first time, but is very slow.

So basically, sometimes the internet works when connected to main box, but mostly doesnt connect - so does this indicate a problem with the bit that screws off. And even though the Internet connects first time when plugged into the test socket, it is still giving me slow speeds. (0.37 Mb/s download and 0.36 Mb/s upload).

I hope that is explained well enough, I can expand on any points if required.

Many Thanks!

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Very slow broadband - can't identify problem

Hi first of all you need to get the noise on your phone line sorted out phone 151 and report a noisy line but do not mention broadband once your voice fault is cleared your broadband should start to improve
0 Ratings
Arsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

I did this, they said plug the phone straight into the test connector (the one inside the box when you remove the screws to take off the front plate) and then they phoned back. As the phone worked perfectly when this happened they said it wasn't their line and a BT engineer would cost £128 or something, and recommended contacting a local electrician.

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 38

have you got any telephone extensions?
0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 38

try advice here

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

and to test line for noise do this

dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing
best done with old type analogue phone digital will do but may have slight hiss

do not use home hub phone

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Arsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 38

@Cameron - No telephone extentions

@Hamish - I have done the 17070 line test with a corded phone, when plugged into the test port behind the main box there is no noise however when plugged into the main faceplate, there is slight buzzing on the phone.

Thanks

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 38

hi mate what the test socket does is isolate that device going in to the test from the extensions now as you dont have any it would appear the front section of the master plate is faulty . its all very simple if you unscrew the front face plate the terminals on the back are used for extensions if you unscrew it further there two wires connected up now there the two main pairs that are your telephone line i suggest you try and explain this to cs that its the front face plate that is faulty. im sure you have tried a new micro filter if no luck post back and we can get the mods to look in to it. i know you can get a bt faceplate off ebay but there about £10 and its BT socket so let them fix it.
0 Ratings
Arsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

I can pretty much see that the face plate is faulty as the gold pins in there are corroded, however when plugging the microfilter into the test socket I am still getting the same slow speeds as before. So does this indicate a problem other than the face plate?

I have tried new microfilters, along with new telephone/adsl wires, and a new router so can pretty much guarantee it's not my equipment after the box on the wall that is faulty.

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 38

after having so many disconnects and a poor connection (noise on the line is a broadband killer) your speed is probably "banded" which means for example recently my connection has been banded under 4 meg so know matter if restart the router my speed will always be 4meg and under now when a engineer comes out more then likely if you ask him he will replace the whole think instead of just the front half. when he sends his notes back to control after about a week with no restarts you should come out of the banding and the router will re-sync to gain a high speed and this will keep happing in till you are at your max connection rate. you need to notify bt of this fault if they wont listen post back and we will get the mod's on the case.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Arsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

So who do you suggest I contact? Bt Broadband support? What should I say to them? My connection is "banded" and I somehow need to get out of that?

As my contract is up, I could also switch so sky broadband/line rental, if I do this will the speed be normal or will the problem on the line still exist? I'd like to solve the problem before considering switching.

Thanks for your help Cameron

Tags (3)
0 Ratings