cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cemc
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Very slow broadband, crackly phone, BT says no phone fault

Phone got very crackly after heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and has remained that way. At the same time the broadband download speed dropped from around 4.0 Mbps (though a bit erratic) to 0.11 Mbps.  I've reported the phone problem, but BT have "checked" the line and say there is no problem and an engineer call-out will cost £130.   I didn't report the broadband speed issue as I assumed it was related to line interference.  What do I do next?

What I have done so far is:

1. Checked phone in test socket - still very noisy and crackly

2.  done a quiet line test - still very noisy

3. reported a phone fault, and tried to insist that it was a fault outside my house as the quiet line and test socket tests were still very crackly (to no avail - told that I would likely be charged for engineer visit as their line test showed it was OK)

4. checked broadband speed with the Openreach checker (the standard BT speed checker failed) - twice

5. got the stats from my home hub (3A) - twice

Speed and stats as follows:

BT performance 9 sep 2014

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.11 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.34 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 21:28:58

Downstream:

1.313 Mbps

Upstream:

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

14.7 dB / 11.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

46.9 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

18.7 dBm / 12.4 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

3366021 / 81440

CRC Events (Down/Up):

163 / 70

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

485 / 41

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

140 / 75

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 21:44:27

Downstream:

1.313 Mbps

Upstream:

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

12.6 dB / 11.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

46.9 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

18.7 dBm / 12.4 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

3473508 / 85414

CRC Events (Down/Up):

168 / 110

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

489 / 55

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

148 / 119

Hide details

Repeated  speed test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.11 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.34 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

Stats are from two days ago as its taken me that long to get confirmation of registration for this forum (after three tries).

I do live in a very rural community (small island) with very old copper wiring, though I'm less than a mile from the ADSL exchange and about the same from the nearest cabinet (not sure which my connection comes from)

What do I do next?  Do I report a broadband fault as well as the phone fault?  I'm still waiting for the engineer to come for the phone (expected date was 4th September, but the Indian call centre obviously can't comprehend that BT engineers have to actually book their vehicle on a ferry to get to my island community, so can't just arrive next day.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Very slow broadband, crackly phone, BT says no phone fault

welcome to the forum

you need to report the crackly line as a phone fault to 151 and get that fixed before you have any hope of improving your broadband.  It is normal for CS to advise you that you may be changed £129.99 if the problem is on your side of the test socket or if you have damaged the master socket.  you may need to be insistent to get engineer visit

from your attenauation you are about 3.4km from the exchange so bit further than you thought

the low profile is due to a very low speed at one of your conenction drops and without a stable 3+ days conenction the profile will not recover to the correct figure for your connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cemc
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

3.4Km. Its much shorter as the crow flies, and I usually get a lot faster internet than most folk here, so I had assumed the line came through the fields, rather than around two sides of a triangle along the road.  Oh well.

Phone problem has been reported, with an engineer visit scheduled for the 4th of September (yes, thats the date that is showing up on the open ticket at BT fault tracking.)

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

with your attenuation I would hope for a conenction speed about 5.5mb on a good line with no noise.  I would repost the fault again as 4/9 has passed and nothing has improved with your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

The Indian Helpdeask are a waste of space with their remote checks, they never find anything wrong, even when there is that much noise on line it is difficult hearing anything else, they wont find fault.

They insisted my problem of noise was a bad Microfilter and they would send a new one even though I explained the Modern Master socket I have has a filter in built and use of microfilters is not recommended let alone required.

The Micro filter never turned up either.

Took three engineer to fix various line problems to get rid of noise over a month.

Noise is now back and **bleep** broadband yet again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

line noise needs reporting on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call other wise they will go down the broadband liine as they have
0 Ratings
cemc
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Still cant get a confirmed engineer appointment, and India is calling me back on Monday.   Problem with the appointment seems to be that their automatic appointment system doesn't work for my island community where BT openreach has to come across by boat (and has to make a booking for their vehicle on the ferry), but at the same time the call centre can't get through to BT openreach to manually make an appointment.

Something is seriously wrong with the way the different parts of the BT "service" communicate (or don't communicate) with each other.  

A question - I've been advised to report this as just a phone fault, even though my broadband is really badly compromised (0.01 Mbps download speeds, when usually its up around 4.0 Mbps).   I will be requesting compensation for lost phone service, but if I haven't actually reported the broadband as a problem does that mean I can't claim compensation for lost broadband service?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I thought you still had a phone service just some interference.

although openreach are part of the overall BT Group your ISP BT Retail have no better access than any other ISP as per OFCOM

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

until your noise problem is resolved your broadband will not improve you must get the noise fixed first then your broadband will start to improve automatically
0 Ratings