Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cpmweb
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Very slow broadband in Greenwich area

Hi,
My broadband speeds fell off a cliff recently. Been noticing disconnects in recent weeks, now getting speeds of about 350k upload on a line capable of 6.5mb. Help line is useless - tried to diagnose my wifi despite my explaining I was looking at the router stats page. Eventually they told me no engineers working on the weekend and someone would call back. No call. 

So I'm fast coming to the conclusion I need to resolve this myself - which means I might as well jump to fibre - goodbye BT hello Virgin. Would stick with BT if support could give me more hope. Hoping someone here can help - at least tell me if there is an exchange overload issue or fault.

My router stats

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:30:31
Downstream 575 Kbps
Upstream 605 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 34.8 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 22.5 dB / 14.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 34
Loss of Signal (Local) 3
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 4294966933
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 6
Error Seconds (Local) 3

Interesting stats from kit.co.uk - points to a 21CN problem maybe?

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
DSL Max:   5500 kbps (5.5 Mb)
21CN WBC : 250 kbps (0.3 Mb)
Important: The above figures are obtained from the BTw database, which is often conservative.
DSLmax speeds are best guess based on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.

If you already have adsl then you may be interested in Max dsl speed calculator which may give a better indication of your lines capability.

Note I'm only 800m from the exchange!

Regards,
Paul
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Very slow broadband in Greenwich area

welcome to the forum

did you get an email from BT recently advising that your exchange was being upgraded to 21CN?

You are now on 21CN adsl2+ which is quite aggressive if there is noise present on your line.  Your current noise margin is 34.8 whereas normal is about 6.  Have you been having disconnection problems with router resetting and/or have you been resetting the router hoping things will get better?  Are you connected to the master socket or better the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cpmweb
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi, any idea when I switched to 21CN? I don't remember getting an email - I can check (slowly!).
I take it the noise margin should be lower then?
I haven't been disconnecting deliberately but have had intermittent problems for several weeks - didn't realize what it was at first but watched it happen on the router today.
I've got pretty old wiring - a GPO socket no less. Plus extension lead from there which runs to the router. And another extension for the phone and alarm system (both filtered)
So no option to connect to a test socket directly. Could try the other extension - would I have to wait 3 days or would the noise margin give me a clue?

Thanks for help.
I guess I could investigate getting a new master socket put in - would they do that gratis given the age of the wiring do you think?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

there are some interesting illustrations here  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/homehubindex.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cpmweb
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi imjolly,
Thanks for the advice - this link in particular - http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/howtocomplain.html

I complained to BT - eventually got an engineer round today who replaced the line from the street to the house (but not the old GPO socket interestingly) - net result I'm seeing 16Mb sync speed on the router tonight and about 11Mb download speeds in the evening - a great result!

Note - I also had to call to get my bRAS Profile reset - guess it might have reset itself eventually but this was the engineers advice.

0 Ratings