cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Very slow broadband speeds

yes use a corded phone and yes it is the disconnections that have reduced your profile try the line test first if quiet i will happily post some other ideas and links that may help
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

and please use the master socket for the test
0 Ratings
Garry_
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

OK I have tried the test, but it does not seem to work. I keep getting a repeating message giving me various options. When I press option 2 the message simply repeats. Like I said my corded phone is old and does not have touch tone, so I guess that means it can't select options?

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 22

You can use a dect digi phone but it may have a slight but consistant hiss anything more is trouble

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Garry_
Beginner
Message 15 of 22

I used my cordless phone to perform the test. Like you said I got a hissing noise that was constant, but nothing more.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

yes it has to be a touch tone phone ok as an alternative when you pick up the phone can you hear any noise apart from the dial tone
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Ok Garry_ check this link out and check all extensions as well remove wires 3&4 from each socket in your home http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm  the ring wire act like an aerial and should be removedas it is now no longer needed and it can and does  affect line noise and possible disconnections

0 Ratings
Garry_
Beginner
Message 18 of 22

No there are no unusual noises, just the normal dial tone.

Should I contact BT and try to get my line checked?

Thanks for your continued help 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

worth it yes but do not mention broadband phone faults on 151 and report a noisy line  also check out my last post  that is likely to help as well

0 Ratings
Highlighted
beano
Message 20 of 22

been looking at this thread and i am having simillar problems but my speed is even worse than yours garry keep ringing bt but no luck at all they keep saying they will ring and send an engineer but no luck my speeds are

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
235 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 235 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :344 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 627 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 22.58:27.49:50.0 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

as it says my acceptable range should be between 800 and 2000 and i am getting 235  very slow and unbarable at times

0 Ratings