Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Very slow broadband

Go to solution

Hi guys, hoped I wouldn't be back so soon (last issue wa sin October) but here I am again 😞

Last week I had a line fault affecting my phone.  The broadband worked fine but i was unable to make calls or answer incoming calls (the phone continued to ring even when you picked it up).  Anyway I reported this and BT said they would fix it.  On Thursday my internet went as well, i assume because an engineer was working on the line.  On Friday they phoned to say the phone line was fixed, all good.

Unfortunately when I went online that evening I realised that while it was working the broadband was painfully slow.  Since i have had a issues before solved on this forum i did the usual looke dta the router stats and ran the BTW speedtest etc.  This showed a good connection rate but an extremely low IP profile (0.14).  While i was checking however the connection reset, with the connection now being higher.  10 minutes later it reset again with the connection being lower again.  The IP profile remained constant throughout.  I decided this was just the connection sorting itself out and i would leave it to stabilise, hoping the IP profile would be put back to normal once it was sorted out.

Sadly it is now 3 days later and the IP profile remains 0.14.  The connection is still reset every few hours and the connection speed is different every time (it has ranged for 740 to 2600).  So i have come to the conclusion there is an issue and have thus come to you who have helped me before, though it does take several minutes to load each page on here .....

Note that i tried to inform BT of this issue by setting the original fault as not fixed on the website, but the site would not accept this, probably because of my incredibly slow connection.

Anyway here are the hub stats;

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:26:18
Downstream:2,688 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.3 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):164411 / 2
CRC Events (Down/Up):107 / 5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):1098 / 4
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: Very slow broadband

Go to solution

And the current speedtest result;

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.14 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :2.69 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Is this with your router connected to the test socket?

Your connection rate is very low for the attenuation, I would expect a connection in excess of 10meg.

If this is in the test socket and the connection is still dropping, it would appear you need a visit from a broadband engineer to locate what's causing the issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Is this with your router connected to the test socket?

Your connection rate is very low for the attenuation, I would expect a connection in excess of 10meg.

If this is in the test socket and the connection is still dropping, it would appear you need a visit from a broadband engineer to locate what's causing the issue.

you have looked at wrong attenuation - that is up whereas down is 61.5 so about 2/2.5mb would be about average

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

your low download speed is due to your rock bottom profile of 0.14mb.  this is normally due to router dropping connection and on re-connecting the speed was very low resulting in the profile dropping immediately to 0.14mb.  if you can maintain conenction 24/7 for 3/5 days then profile should correct itseld based on your current connection speed

check profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
Apologies, you're right imjolly 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Yeah i figured as much, that is why i left it alone for a few days.  However the connection seems to drop every few hours, dropping and coming back at a different connection speed.  Since the connection had been stable for months before the phone fault I am guessing there is still an issue somewhere?  Or is that normal?

And yes it is in the test socket etc.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

if you are using the test socket with a new filter then your connection should not be dropping.

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

do you have extension sockets in other rooms?  if so and you are using the test socket then check that there is no dialtone on anoy other socket

0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Yeah test socket with new filter and no extensions.  The quiet line test was fine.  The connection reset when i did the quiet line test, I am guessing co-incidence.  The noise margin is down and connection up, IP profile remains the same.

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:01:33
Downstream:2,720 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):4.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.4 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):108047 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):165 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):315 / 5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

the drop in noise margin down to 4db is the reason for the higher conenction speed  normal noise margin is about 6db

if connection dropped when doing quiet line test have you noticed if conenction drops when you receive a phone call?  if you try quiet line test again see if connections drops as twice will not be a coincidence

0 Ratings