Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Very slow speeds 6 days

Go to solution
Hi all, I've been getting very low speeds since 29 Dec, it dropped suddenly. Speed is too low for the BT Wholesale speedtester to measure; I think below 0.01Mb/s. The ADSL stats are here, they look no worse than usual ecept the CRC events and error seconds. The FEC events are lower than usual presumably because we haven't downloaded much! The stats: ADSL Line Status Connection Information Line state: Connected Connection time: 3 days, 15:05:24 Downstream: 3.125 Mbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 12.5 dB / 20.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 51.4 dB / 30.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 18.5 dBm / 12.3 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 442284 / 105 CRC Events (Down/Up): 826 / 59 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 3317 / 31 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 454 / 50 I am running a HH3 using Firefox on Windows 7. The Quietline test is fine, voice calls are OK. Anyone got any ideas as to what i can do now, apart from waiting and hoping, which doesn't seem to be working!
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Very slow speeds 6 days

Go to solution

from stats you now have 3+ days connection time with 3.1mb connection speed but high noise margin of 12.5db - normal is about 6db  with your attenuation I would expect connection speed of about 4/4.5mb if noise margin goes back to normal

you should be able to run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution
Results from BTW speedtester: Download: 0.63 Upload: 0.00 Ping Latency: 0.00 1. Best Effort Test: Download Speed : 0.63 Mbps Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information. Pinging from the command prompt I get 55ms from bbc.co.uk with 2 lost packets out of 12. Bt.com does not respond to my pings. Is this normal?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

without the results of the btspeedtester diagnostic test I cannot test if your download speed is low because of a low profile or another cause

sorry but can you try a few times and see if you can get diaagnostic test to work - it is only test that shows your profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution
Sorry, imjolly, but it won't work, but then it never does even when the speed is normal. It hasn't worked for years. My practice is to test the download speed every morning before starting to use the internet using the ookla site. If all is well the speed is 2.42 which, allowing for the 12% overhead equates to an IP of 2.75. This is all you can expect from a sync speed of 3-and-a-bit. I believe the DLM is having one of its periodic mad fits. It usually comes back up in a day or two but this time it seems sluggish so it would be nice if someone could give it a prod. Out of interest what other causes of slow download with a good sync speed are likely?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

btspeedtester often has problems and sometimes using a different browser and perseverence pays off.  low profile is the normal reason but it could be line noise/errors but you say quiet line test is ok and stats don't show alot oif errors for 3+ days connected  other possibility is exchange congestion which normall affects download speed at peak time and off peak speed is ok

anything here for your exchange  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution
Ha! The broadband Hub just went down entirely, flashed red for a couple of minutes and reconnected slightly better. I can now load the bt fault page and they are showing an ongoing fault on our exchange (St Germans, Cornwall). Perhaps things are about to improve, though speed is still very slow. Will update later....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

at least you know not your connection but exchange problem

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

All good now. The broadband went down again just after 7 pm and then re-connected. Speed from BTW performance test is now 2.44Mb/s (further diags still u/s though!) Looks like I was wrong about it being a DLM problem this time. Thank you to imjolly for patience and suggestions. I suppose a little more patience on my part would have seen all well again, but six days with no internet service is a long time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution
FYI.

The 12% overhead is not between download speed and IP profile, it's between IP profile and connection speed.

On ADSL2/2+ the downstream IP profile is normally set to 88.2% of the connection rate (as shown in the stats).
0 Ratings