Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: Very slow speeds 6 days

Go to solution

Oh, right...I clearly misunderstood this due either to my own stupidity or misinformation on the web (of which there is plenty, broadband is like one of the Dark Arts). So from my current sync rate which the HH reports as 3.406 multiplied by 0.882 = 3.004 . So my IP would be 3.0 in an ideal world, but the DLM may reduce it to match the noise margin (currently 10.7), errors etc. Still as the download speed is controlled by the IP it must follow that the IP can be calculated from the download speed, no?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

no  that won't work as download speed has a max of ip profile but minimum depends on line conditions

the noise margin affects your connection speed which in turn affects your profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

mmm, I thought someone would say that. This is the gate to the Broadband World where the trembling neophyte finds he must abandon all childish faith in logic or cause-and-effect, they will not serve him here!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

some explanation here  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution
BT Wholesale can control the connection speed by allowing it only between a range of values (a band) and also by altering other things such as noise margin and signal power etc. In general it will be set as high as possible for a stable, reliable connection over your line conditions.

On ADSL2/2+ your downstream IP Profile should then be 88.2% of the connection speed. This is the speed limit for downloading internet data but often a particular speed test will report a lower figure. There are many factors that can affect the actual achieved download speed for any particular test/task.

The speeds BT Consumer quote at order time are actually connection speeds. They are those provided by the BT Wholesale availability checker (it calls them line rates but it's the same thing).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution
Your earlier stats showed your modulation type as G.992.1. That's ADSL1.

On ADSL1 the IP profile is one of a number of set values. Different ranges of connection speed map onto those set values.

So on ADSL1 the 88.2% rule doesn't apply. The mapped IP profile will still always be a fair bit below the connection speed though.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution
It might be possible that with ADSL1 on a 21CN enabled exchange the 88.2% rule would then be used?
Without seeing the results of the Further Diagnostics it's hard to say for sure.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

If using the ADSL1 mapped IP profiles the two relevant ranges are as follows.

2848 - 3423kb/s 2500 (up to 2.5Mb/s)
3424 - 3999kb/s 3000 (up to 3Mb/s)

So with a connection speed of 3,406kbps you would still be in the lower range and have the 2,500kbps IP profile. That would explain your achieved download result of only 2,440Kbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:
It might be possible that with ADSL1 on a 21CN enabled exchange the 88.2% rule would then be used?
Without seeing the results of the Further Diagnostics it's hard to say for sure.

@imjolly

I think I read somewhere that the ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps) product can be implemented either using ADSL1 or ADSL2 (ADSL2 only available if on a 21CN exchange), but ADSL1 can perform better on some very long lines.

If so then ...

Is it the case that if ADSL Max is implemented using ADSL2 then the 88.2% IP profile is used?

Is it also then true to say that ADSL1 always uses the mapped set IP profiles? 

I'm as confused as others at times. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

@umpire

you do see some posts where it is a 21CN enabled exchange where OP is on adslmax and profile is based on 88.2%

0 Ratings