Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 31

Re: Very slow speeds 6 days

Go to solution
Would that 88.2% only occur on ADSL2 though and be impossible on ADSL1? That's what I'm not sure about.

Anyway the OP is on ADSL1 (G.992.1) and it looks to me to be on the set IP profiles, though I can't be sure of that.

Moving to ADSL2/2+ might be an option if the exchange is enabled?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:
Would that 88.2% only occur on ADSL2 though and be impossible on ADSL1? That's what I'm not sure about.

Anyway the OP is on ADSL1 (G.992.1) and it looks to me to be on the set IP profiles, though I can't be sure of that.

Moving to ADSL2/2+ might be an option if the exchange is enabled?

yes there are people on 21cn exchange on adslmax (adsl1) who are on the new profile system of 88.2%

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

yes there are people on 21cn exchange on adslmax (adsl1) who are on the new profile system of 88.2%

Out of interest, see the table near the top of this page.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/wbc_wbmc.htm

It implies that the 21CN WBC Max (capped 8128 down / 448 up) service can be implemented using either ADSL1 or ADSL2+.

My point was that maybe those on the ADSL Max service with an IP profile of 88.2% are not actually on ADSL1 but are on ADSL2+? In that situation I suppose the modulation type from the stats would confirm it if true.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

@Joncbro wrote:

mmm, I thought someone would say that. This is the gate to the Broadband World where the trembling neophyte finds he must abandon all childish faith in logic or cause-and-effect, they will not serve him here!

Have you tried entering your telephone number into this BT Whoilesale service availability checker?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

It will tell you which services are available for your line and also give connection speed estimates. If you post the results (edit out your private phone number) we can explain what it's telling you if it's not clear.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

imjolly wrote:

Out of interest, see the table near the top of this page.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/wbc_wbmc.htm

It implies that the 21CN WBC Max (capped 8128 down / 448 up) service can be implemented using either ADSL1 or ADSL2+.

My point was that maybe those on the ADSL Max service with an IP profile of 88.2% are not actually on ADSL1 but are on ADSL2+? In that situation I suppose the modulation type from the stats would confirm it if true.

The stats on the cases where they are on adslmax on 21cn exchange gave a modulation of 992.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution
Hi, OP here again. I am on ADSLMax (up to 8mb) The exchange repairs are holding up. I regard 2.4 mb download throughput as normal service, now have 2.9mb ! Not bad for a 3 kilometre overhead wire which can be seen thrashing about in the wind..... For the benefit of the Gurus and to encourage the struggling I append our current stats when working well, note the highish noise margin and huge number of errors. Still, it works surprisingly well, touch wood! ADSL Line Status Connection Information Line state: Connected Connection time: 12 days, 14:10:00 Downstream: 3.406 Mbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.3 dB / 20.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 51.6 dB / 30.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 18.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 9759050 / 488 CRC Events (Down/Up): 4285 / 251 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 27697 / 148 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2028 / 226 BTW Speedtest 1. Best Effort Test: Download Speed : 2.92 Mbps Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution

with your attenuation you are neare 3.5km from exchange and if noise margin dropped to normal 6db you would probably get about 4mb which is about right for that attenuation on a good line

The high FEC errors are ok and interleaving doing it's job

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution
Hi Imjolly, yes, I'm not worried by the FEC errors it was the CRC, HEC and errored seconds which caught my eye as unusually high. As for the noise margin, no doubt at 6db the speed would increase but even 9db is low for us. I see from previous screengrabs of the stats that it was 10.2db last March and 13.3db in July, which are not out of the way values and still allow a throughput of 2.4mb. Question: Is 2.9mb with lots of errors really faster than 2.4 with fewer? Question 2: Why do my posts have all the line-breaks removed? They are there now but when I press "post" they vanish, making my posts horrible to read.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution

to answer your speed question just run btspeedtester diagnostic test and you should see that with the number of errors for 12 days I would expect the faster speed to give the faster download

the problems appears to be the way your post is formatted - some seem to have no problem and other people's stat post like yours.  not the first ones I have 'quoted' and put in normal table order to be able to read easier

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution
Ah, you mean that a "throughput" measurement allows for the errors and attendant repeat packets, that was not clear to me. As to the post appearance, yes, obviously it is in the formatting. This bit of this post I am writing in Wordpad and will cut and paste. It is double-spaced in Wordpad. This is typed direct into the reply box. I have added extra line breaks to the pasted part as the pasting removed them.
0 Ratings