cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danum
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Very slow speeds - someone help me please :)

Hello,

This started last Friday (15/04/2011). The Internet dropped a couple of times and since then I have only been able to obtain very low speed connections. I have called the BT helpline who were not able to resolve this. I have had an engineer visit and he mentioned that the throughput was low and would have to contact the techs.

I called them again yesterday and they suggested that another engineer visit. Does anyone have any ideas as I don't think this will be a quick fix. I have read posts about the 'IP profile' being low but I am very much an amateur when it comes to networks etc.

I have posted my BT speedtests results and my router report. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

49 Kbps

0 Kbps 250 Kbps

Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 49 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :1920 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.14:33.01:59.35 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

369 Kbps

0 Kbps 448 Kbps

Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 369 Kbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

BT Home Hub results

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state Connected

Connection time 0 days, 16:38:36

Downstream 1,920 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 13.1 dB / 17.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 56.0 dB / 30.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 17.4 dBm / 12.7 dBm

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Very slow speeds - someone help me please :)

can you please go back to the adsl stats and post the errors at the bottom - you may have to 'show detail'

from what you have posted your profile is rock bottom 135 which is causing your download/through to be rubbish.  Your nois margin is high at 13.1 as normal about 6.  have you been resetting the router or has the router been resetting on it's own?

are you connected directly to the master or test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Danum
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I have reset the router only a couple of times myself. After the speed dropped however it was losing broadband connection about 30-40 times a day, however this has improved now. I am direct into the master socket also. I have posted the extra stats below.

VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    12.9 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    56.0 dB / 30.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    17.4 dBm / 12.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)    22
Loss of Signal (Local)    2
Loss of Power (Local)    0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    3076 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    221 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)    128

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

if your connection is now stable then you need to leave it connected 24/7 with no resets for 3/5 days and your profile will rise.  your noise margin may also start to come down with the resultant small increase in speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings