cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RChilton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Very slow web browsing on Mac using BT Smart Hub (Home hub 6) and Ethernet

I am getting very slow web browsing when connecting my Mac to my home hub over Ethernet. Responses are occasionally fast, but more normally a few tens of seconds and often a few minutes. Occasionally I get server not responding. If I use a WiFi connection, I get very fast response times. A few other points about the situation:-

• The web response issues are much the same whether I use Safari or Chrome.
  • I am on BT Infinity 2 service.
  • The problem only seems to affect web browsing. If I use a broadband speed checker, I get 74Mbs download speeds and 18.5 Mbps upload speeds.
  • If I plug the Ethernet RJ45 lead into a Windows laptop, I get fast web browsing speeds on that.

I have spent a couple of hours on the phone to Apple support, but so far they have not come up with anything and have questioned if it is a router problem. Other posts on this forum have indicated some issues with Macs and Ethernet on home hubs. Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, have you found a solution to it? Does anyone know if there is something different in the way that the hub connects to Macs and Windows PCs over Ethernet? If so, is there anything configurable in this or is it embedded in how software works at both ends of the link?

I would ideally prefer to use an Ethernet connection as I have sometimes had reliability issues with WiFi.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Very slow web browsing on Mac using BT Smart Hub (Home hub 6) and Ethernet

The Hub 6 supports IPv6 and there have been a number of posts recently with people having issues with Apple products.

Most OS these days prefer IPv6 if available so check whether you can disable IPv6 on the Mac.
0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Hi

I use a SmartHub with an Apple Airport Express as a remote access point.

Connected to the SmartHub via Ethernet I have a MacBook PRO and an iMac, and have no problems with speed when browsing or doing anything else on the net for that matter. No different to the wifes Windows laptop running Win10

Both the Hub and the AirPort Express have IPV6 switched on and all is rock solid.

So I can't really offer an explaniation for your problems. On the MacBook PRO I use both Safari and Firefox with no noticeable difference between the two speed wise. On the iMac I just use Safari

Do you have any problems speed wise downloading emails with decent sized attachments?

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 4 of 16

Check under network configuration- advanced- that you have IPV6 on automatic.

What DNS are you using? Try google 8.8.8.8 and 8.84.4
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Try google  2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 for IPv6 as well.

0 Ratings
RChilton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Thanks. That is very helpful as it lets me know that the combination of an iMac, BT Smart Hub and Ethernet is capable of working properly.

I think the email may be a little slow using Ethernet, but there is not quite the same need for a quick response as web browsing and I have not tried any comparative tests with it.

0 Ratings
RChilton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

IPV6 is set as automatic.

I have tried changing the DNS setings to both the BT Internet DNS servers and to the Google ones. It doesn't make any detectable difference.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

This mught be a daft question...

Is the Mac plugged straight into the SmartHub or is it via something like an unmanaged ethernet Gigabit switch.

If it's the latter, is there anything connected to that switch that is not Gigabit speed? 

Just a thought. If Mac straight into Hub then disregard the above, except have you tried it in all the ethernet ports on the hub?

0 Ratings
RChilton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

It wasn't a daft question. The Mac is connected throught a BT Gigabit powerline conection as it is 3 rooms away from the SmartHub. There is also a BT WiFi Hotspot linked to the powerline arrangement. I temporarily moved the Mac to the same room as the Hub and connected them directly. Web browsing seemed to work fine. I then moved the Mac back to its original position and also connected the Hub end of the powerline connection to the port I had used for direct connection of the Mac. Web browsing changed back to its original very slow response over Ethernet.

I then checked again plugging the normal patch lead to the Mac into a Windows laptop. Web browsing speeds were fine. There is clearly something different in the way that Windows and a Mac work over this connection, but I only wish I knew what it is and if it is possible to configure the Mac (or the Hub) to overcome the problem.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I have my MacBook PRO and Aport Extreme connected via an unmanaged Gigabit 5 port unmanaged switch via Ethernet to the Hub on port 1.

My iMac and Synology NAS are connected to another unmanaged Gigabit switch via Ethernet to the hub on port 2.

Port 3 on the hub is connected via TPlink powerline adaptors to the wife's Windows 10 laptop in the front spare bedroom.

Speed is the same on all the computers at around 72 down and about 18 up.

I have 3 iPads and 3 iPhones all connected via wi-fi on 5GB to the AirPort Extreme. The only thing I have on 2.4GHz is an old iPod touch the wife uses from time to time. 2.4GHz is really crowded and can currently see just over 40 access points.

The reason the Apple phones and tablets are connected to the Airport Extreme is simply because the Hub is able to only use the lower 5GHz channels and they share those at the moment with 9 other access points. The airport is up on channel 100 sharing that area with nothing. Both the airport and the hub slow down noticeably on the lower channels.

It all works and is consistant with speed, which is all I want.

0 Ratings