cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yamaha01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Very unstable speed

I bought the BT option 3 and the internet was active on the 17/8 i waited the 10 day settling period for the speed to sort itself out, which it did, but since the 1/9 at around 10pm my speed goes haywire. I use speedtest.net and during, the say, 10 sec test my speed goes up and down like crazy, 1 sec it 2mb then next sec it 4mb then next sec its 1mb and so on. I have phoned but i have been told that there is nothing wrong as the internet works fine during the day and only plays up around 10pm. They did some tests also showing nothin wrong. The trouble is that bt vision wont work unless it has a constant 2mb so thats 2 items of BT that i cant use past 10pm.

My computer is conected using ethernet cable, the Hub is not restarted alot, theres no noise on the line and i have no idea what is going on. I have had problems with other internets before but never had this.

Has this happened to anyone else? and does anyone have an idea what might be causing it and a fix for it?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Very unstable speed

Hi Yamaha01,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. If you could run a speed test using www.speedtester.bt.com next time your Broadband is running slow and post your results. This should help to give us an indication of what is causing the problem.

Cheers

Paddy,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

can you also post the adsl stats from your hub - enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser and navigate to adsl 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Yamaha01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2511

Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8024 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1144 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps

but that 2511 speed isnt a constant one its going slightly above and then well below 1000 at most times.

I have done many tests using speedtest.net and the speed needle is all over the place during the test

0 Ratings
Yamaha01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Connection Information
Line stateConnected <script type="text/javascript"></script>
Connection time5 days, 21:40:49
Downstream8,024 Kbps
Upstream1,144 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.8 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)33.0 dB / 11.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.8 dBm / 1.7 dBm
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

your stats look ok with a down speed of 8024 which is consistent withan ip profile of 7000.  however the problem appears to be your throughput which is low for your profile and may be caused with congestion - you can check your exchange here http://www.nildram.net/support/tools/congestion_checker/  check here for outages http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Yamaha01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Many Thanks for your help, I used the congestion checker and it say mine is Amber and congested only trouble is that it says it is being upgraded again on dec 2008 lol

With my last ISP i didnt ever have this problem only when i joined bt i just finding it wierd.

So there not really alot i can do i take it?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

your speed is ok but the throughput is the problem like I said before.  If you run speedtester again tomorrow and the throughput has not improved and closer to your profile figure then you need to email the mods for assistance giving your account and phone number and a link to this post forum.moderation.team@bt.com  

0 Ratings
Yamaha01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

HUB ADSL Details today -

Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time6 days, 22:01:39
Downstream8,024 Kbps
Upstream1,144 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.9 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)33.0 dB / 11.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)13.3 dBm / 1.7 dBm

and well after over a hour of doin speedtester it finally completed and these are todays results

Test 1

Download speedachieved during the test was - 42 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8024 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1144 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5400 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 33.44:25.08:41.47 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

Test 2 - Assured RateTest

Download speed achieved during the test was - 11 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1536-1600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 1600 Kbps

Its getting abit stupid now been going on for well over a week. i have tried phoned tech support but still they saying their is no fault.

I have no virus's through many tests. Just to make sure i reinstalled windows and still the problem persists. Deleted cookies/history and everything else.

I just donno what to do anymore

And thanks for your help so far IMJOLLY

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

you need to email the mods like I said before to get them to look into your problem and get it fixed forum.moderation.team@bt.com

0 Ratings