cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Virgin Media user wanting to potentially switch.

Hi guys, 

So, I checked on the website and my area is serviced by BT Infinity but I still have some questions: 

1. Is BT Infinity fibre optic? The reason I ask is because when I was getting my current internet at home we were told that our area didn't have fibre optic (Virgin Media). 
  2. It says on the website that when we switch from another provider, you will ensure that we don't lose access while you switch us to BT. How reliable is this? 
  3. In terms of online Gaming (e.g. World of Warcraft, CS, etc...) how do BT Infinity users rate the experience and latency? 
  4. How much is the switching costs from another provider? 

Thanks a lot for your time. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Potential Virgin Media user wanting to switch.

As an ex Virgin Media customer myself I think I can answer you questions.

BT Infinity is exactly the same as Virgin Media Cable service inasmuchas it is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) so distance from the exchange does not come into it.

When I moved from VM cable service I had a 1 month overlap as it is supplied in a different manner. VM's service is totally seperate from any other ISP.

ATM switchiong is free as they will not charge you for having a BT line installed.

BT Infinity is far superior to VM cable i terms of ping, latency and packet loss.

If you need more info i'll be back about 10.00 tonight.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Virgin Media user wanting to potentially switch.

Have been with Infinity since May this year after switching from Virgin. I had to give a months notice to Virgin so I did this and then called BT to arrange for infinity to be installed when my Virgin connection would run out. They installed Infinity a day before Virgin was due to end, no problems what so ever with the installation. I myself play Warcraft and apart from the normal patch days woes, latency seems to be better with BT than it was with Virgin. I am on a higher speed than what I was with Virgin as the one I wanted was the unlimited useage and the free local and 0845 numbers. I was with BT for my phone anyway and was paying for my calls so the package I got was the idea one for me. HTH 🙂
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Re: Virgin Media user wanting to potentially switch.

I have both Virgin and Infinity, I used to have UK Online on a LLU exchange which was great to be fair then they were swallowed up by Sky. My Virgin 20 meg is ok but nothing special.

When I switched to Infinity the difference was like night and day, much better for gaming as that's all I do on it.

In fact it was great for about 3 days then something started happening that would reduce my speed and increase my ping, still ok but not as good as it was on first install.

The modem packed up and was replaced quickly, my down speed is now capped at 20000 and pings have trebled. This is the nightmare of DLM, many are stuck in this nightmare, search my posts for more insight.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Walkio has stated that his/her are VM do not have fibre optic service. They are selling rebranded BT broadband. So in his/her case its not totally diff 😛

You will notice a hugeee difference, BT Infinity is Fibre optic to the cabinet. As you are currently supplied through your copper telephone wire you will need to call BT and tell them your with VM then everything will roll on from there.
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 6

@Eamdad wrote:
Walkio has stated that his/her are VM do not have fibre optic service. They are selling rebranded BT broadband. So in his/her case its not totally diff 😛

Oooops! So he did. You are of course correct.

0 Ratings