Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davemitch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Voyager 1055 USB Wireless adaptor problems

Go to solution

I have just had a new broadband installation, with a HH3. I am changing over from an old 8Mb broadband on a different line which has a Netgear router on it. I have 3 similar Compaq PCs, 3 Iphone/iPods, and a Mac, and connected my work laptop OK to the HH3.

The 3 PCs, 1 has a Netgear WG111v2 USP wireless adaptor which has connected OK to the HH3. The other 2 have BT Voyager 1055 USB adaptors, neither of which can see the HH3 but connect OK to the Netgear. The PC with the Netgear and one of the Voyagers are in the same room, about 4 feet apart, yet using inSSIDer2, I can see about a dozen wireless networks from all of mine and my neighbours connections, the PC 4 feet away can see only the Netgear and the Openzone from the HH3. I've switched off the Netgear, changed channels on both, reloaded drivers for the Voyager, and it makes no difference.

Is there an issue with the Voyager 1055 that stops it seeing some networks? I've tried everything I can think of, but my last ditch effort will be to switch the routers and put the Netgear on the new broadband. The old broadband will be ceased eventually.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Voyager 1055 USB Wireless adaptor problems

Go to solution

The Voyager 1055 is a bit dated now and was originally intended for use with the BT Voyager wireless routers.

There have not been any driver updates since it was first issued.

I have one, and it does not like WPA2 encryption or mixed b/g/n wireless speeds.
If you set the hub3 to use b/g only and WPA only, it should work.

I have TP-link wireless access point and I had to use those settings to allow the 1055 to connect.

In the end I stopped using the 1055 and used a TP-link TL-WN722N USB adapter, which also does wireless N and has an external detachable aerial.

davemitch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thanks for that info, I've tried changing the hub to b/g and WPA only, 1 PC saw the hub 3 for about 90 seconds, then it disappeared again. The other one still doesn't see it. I guess I'm probably going to have to put the Netgear router on in place of the HH3, or buy some new adaptors!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
I can only vouch for the 1055 working on the TP-link, but I have to admit that it was a bit hit and miss.

Certainly using the Voyager wireless was a waste of time, but allowing Windows to manage the connection worked slightly better.

Of course, it worked fine with a Voyager 2091 router.
New wireless adapters are cheap these days, and the
TP-link TL-WN722N is only £9.28 and has proper aerial.
0 Ratings
davemitch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

I ordered the recommended TP Link adaptor for one of the problem PCs, which came this morning. Fitted in 5 minutes, it can see my HH3, and many more networks, and is rock solid with a 64Mb wireless connection.

Job done, just need to order another for the other problem PC.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Yes its a good adapter. The installation CD does tend to install extra bits like a wireless manager.

You can avoid this by plugging in the device, and letting Windows search for the driver on the CD.

You can then use Windows wireless zero configuration, without having to manually select it from their own wireless client.

You may however, prefer the Atheros wireless manager.

I like the fact that you can fit an alternative aerial if you wish.
0 Ratings