cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S72
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Vulnerable 86 year old still waiting for BT to fix phone line problem after 10 days

I am really concerned about an 86 year old friend who has been without a working phone for 10 days now.  The fault was reported on 28th Jan. and BT "aimed to fix it within 3 working days".  On 31st Jan. an engineer was "allocated to resolve the fault".  He found the fault; the cable needed renewing.  New cable was duly delivered to the householder on 1st Feb. and the engineer (through BT Openreach) was to return on Wed. 2nd Feb. to install the cable.  He failed to turn up as arranged.  No reason was given.  He also failed to turn up on Thurs. 3rd or Friday 4th.  It is very worrying that this friend has been without a phone for 10 days.  She is finding it very stressful and there seems no definitive news as to when it will be fixed.  She had a fall at home last year and broke her hip.  Fortunately, she was able to phone a neighbour to alert them. She is not sleeping because of the worry.  Why don't BT ensure priority is given to elderly customers and why don't they monitor what is happening with faults that have been reported?  According to the BT "Fault summary" the estimated repair date was Tues. 1st Feb.  When will it be fixed and what can we, her friends and family, do to get things moving?  

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Vulnerable 86 year old still waiting for BT to fix phone line problem after 10 days

Hi S72 and welcome

This might be resolved quicker if you make contact with the BT forum mod team.

email - forum.moderation.team@bt.com

They'll need your friends full name, account number and a link to this thread.

Normally it can take up to 72 hours to get a response from the mod team (as they are very busy), but due to your friends age and that she's understandably stressed by not having a working phone, I'll also raise this with the mod team for urgent attention.

I'm sure they'll be in touch soon.

(edit to correct typo)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
JacquiKor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Vulnerable 86 year old still waiting for BT to fix phone line problem after 10 days

Hi S72, really sorry to hear about this. I have just posted on forum re. my phone being off since last week and once again very little follow up communication by BT. I hope you get a swift resolution to this....the elderly and vulnerable should always be given priority. Sorry I can't give any advice but good luck with getting things sorted. J
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
S72
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Thank you very much for your speedy reply.  I will email forum.moderation.team as you suggest.  It will be a big relief if this can be sorted soon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

No problem.

If you've not sent it yet, maybe putting "Vulnerable 86 year old" in the subject heading would be a good idea, so the mods can find it quickly.

@Jaqcui. You could also try sending an email, with a link to your other post?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
kanderson3454
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Is this fixed already? It is for the safery of the 86 year old woman.

0 Ratings
S72
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Thank you very much.

0 Ratings
Franco50
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Just wondering how you got on S72?  I am in a fairly similar situation. My 87 year old father is due to move into a sheltered housing flat next week and I contacted BT to have his number transferred to the new property. The operator I spoke to said she had checked the line at the new address and it was not active (despite the sheltered housing complex manager asuring me that the previous tenant had a telephone) therefore they'd need to have an engineer visit the flat to do some work - at a cost of £130. While frustrating, this isn't my main point of concern however, which is that they cannot do the job until 16th March which is a full month after my dad moves into the flat so he is going to be without a phone for that period of time. I am not very happy about that situation as I live about 50 miles away from my dad and normally phone him every evening to ensure things are OK as his mobility is not good these days and he is prone to having falls. I'm wondering if it would be worth my while bringing this to the attention of the forum mods?

0 Ratings
S72
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Fully understand your concern.  I followed the advice received in "DS Guru's" posting and emailed the BT forum mod team on Sunday evening.  One of the BT forum moderators got in touch with me the next morning by email and he is trying to get the problem dealt with more urgently.  Still no definitive progress as yet, but at least one can feel that there is a specific person/team who are taking notice and are sensitive to the situation and trying to get things moving.  I certainly think it's worth your while emailing the forum mod team and explaining your worries about your father's situation.  I hope BT will be able to get an engineer to sort out your father's phone/line much sooner than 16th March.    

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@Franco50 wrote:

.....The operator I spoke to said she had checked the line at the new address and it was not active (despite the sheltered housing complex manager asuring me that the previous tenant had a telephone) therefore they'd need to have an engineer visit the flat to do some work - at a cost of £130.

Take great care. Aren't we beginning to see increasing reports that BT operators are saying that an engineer's visit is required, yet it turns out they only had to flick a switch at the exchange? By then the system has generated a £130 fee on the next bill, which is very difficult to get refunded.

0 Ratings