cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 19

WBC SOGEA trial soon?

I was checking the dsl checker last night and noticed that they have added WBC SOGEA to one of the service offerings that require 10 days stable connection time.

I did a bit of research and it appears SOGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access, essentially broadband only packages and no voice transmitted across the line) will be getting trialled soon. Openreach apparently wants to trial this between now and March 2016.

What's your opinions on SOGEA? I personally think it's a good idea for those who only use their service for internet. The concept of voice across landlines is decreasing with mobile usage increasing.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: WBC SOGEA trial soon?

This is likely to be a business  product for Point To Point Ethernet access over VDSL. This would be a cheaper option than the current Short Haul Data product which use fibre all of the way.

Business customers prefer an Ethernet presentation as its easier to connect to their equipment.

I would be very surprised if a residential service is provided, as there would be no way to call emergency services.

Voice support would be via VOIP, which many businesses already use.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

@Keith_Beddoe According to this article , Naked VDSL (SOGEA) is being targeted towards consumers, aka residential people. I very very much doubt that someone who needs to call the emergency services will be so remote that there won't be someone else nearby: either they could use another line to call out or just use their mobile phone.

I strongly suspect that Naked DSL is really more targeted to users who don't need or want a phone service, which is actually becoming more common and seems to be common in people ordering Infinity. I've even seen threads on here with users just using their line for nothing but broadband, presumably because they have a mobile phone or access to Skype to call people, especially since Skype is a free service and costs nothing.

According to some research I did (just googling WBC SOGEA), it appears that you might be able to add voice services onto a SOGEA service later if you need it in the future. Interestingly, the article in question also hints at the trials of VDSL Amplification, intended to extend the reach of the VDSL service still further.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Page not found

Correct link here

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/03/bt-set-trial-of-standalone-naked-fttc-superfast-broadba...

I read the whole of that BTW document online as a PDF, I think perhaps it was not intended to be put on the Internet.

People do not like paying line rental for a phone they do not use, however the pricing of the product is still going to have to include the line rental aspect, so I cannot see it being any cheaper, and if you have no mobile coverage, you are still going to need a phone.

Business users are also customers.

We will have to wait and see.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Naked or dry loops are available in most G20 countries. In Canada, I pay $9 per month (about £5) to Bell Canada to 'rent' my local loop... and a separate amount to my DSL ISP. This has been a regulatory requirement and available in Canada for many years. BT delays - and associating dry loop availability with FTTC or FTTH - are obstructionist and diversionary... but profitable. £17 per month for a phone service that is rarely or never used is a great scam.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

there are many parts of the UK with either poor or non existent mobile coverage and are still reliant for a copper voice connection and will be for many more years a google search shows many complaints about mobile coverage be it rural areas or towns and cities
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

Looks like WBC SOGEA services are being ordered in some areas. I checked my old address and it reports "WBC SOGEA is not available on the cabinet due to no capacity". So sounds like some parts of the UK are in the trial and are able to order broadband-only services.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

As someone who had a EoFTTC connection in the past I think it's great. When I moved to normal FTTC with the same provider I kept the copper pair so again had no calls. I am hoping this will help set a new standard and the death of the landline.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

@23prince I agree, the increase of users purchasing broadband packages simply for the broadband and not for phone services is important for the future. I predict that there will be larger coverage of mobile phone services so that fixed landline services will be primarily for broadband. At least in my generation that is 😄
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

I agree,

I can often get 60mbps on my mobile which has unlimited 4G (three network) but it's not as good as home. Even if the upload does often get to 50mbps +
0 Ratings