cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: WBC SOGEA trial soon?

@23prince 4G is certainly the future for all voice services imo. And we certainly need fixed line broadband to do things we can't do on a mobile, like live streaming, uploading large files and so on.

Mobile is good for on-the-go stuff, but not all things and we'll always need a fixed line service: getting of the traditional landline phone is the way of the world (even in our home, use of the phone is close to non-existent these days, we do everything online and don't need a phone).
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

"And we certainly need fixed line broadband to do things we can't do on a mobile, like live streaming, uploading large files and so on."

I do all that on my mobile. Right now I am getting 56mbps down and 31 up. I do about 120-130GB a month on it no problem.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 19

@23prince It's true that you could probably do everything without fixed line with 4G. But here where I live, there's no 4G availability (too rural) and the files I upload tend to be in excess of 1GB and would take way too long to make available on a mobile, just for it to be uploaded faster.

Plus, the stuff I upload has to be done on a desktop and therefore, a hard wired connection is better for that stuff 😉
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 19

I've been trying to get the land line switched to VOIP for ages. the problem is that right now if you try to port the phone number from your land line it ends up putting a cease on the line, when all is needed is a new phone number for the land line to satisfy bt's systems, untill the option to go land line less is available.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 19

Openreach have announced the trial locations for SOGEA services, see this article for more: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/12/bt-confirm-uk-trial-locations-for-standalone-fttc-fibre...
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 19

Apologies if this has been answered I am about to go to work but would appreciate it if anyone can tell me. Haven't done the research, if it has been answered point me to it please -
What would the price advantage be if there is any. I am one of many who just uses his service for internet only and has a mobile for keeping in contact with people.
I do understand some do rely on the telephone part due to it being the only solution to some and other factors.

Mark.

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 19

@MarkG33 Hard to say. From the various reports I've read (mostly on ispreview, link above), it doesn't sound like it would be much different in pricing, as line rental is still required. However, it would remove any possible issues with billing on phone services, so any rogue entries about a phone service could easily be disputed if someone had no phone services on their line 😛
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 19

Hi @SuperSajuuk
Thanks for letting me know. I think when its available or possible to order I may go for it as I've not used a landline phone for years.
As you've said it would make any possible billing issues for phone services easily disputable. I've had some oddities on mine a few times before like phone calls made when I don't even have a landline phone for example lol!

Its nice this is happening now. It will be a bit more dynamic with peoples needs as its still diverse.
For my needs a VoIP line (I think its called.) Would be perfect!
I'll have a look at that link also so thanks for that.

I wish there were trials here where I live I'd have jumped on it asap - I don't mind since learning still paying line rental at least it'll have more use from me to some degree lol. 🙂

Good info thus far. I'll keep an eye on this thread in future.

Mark.
*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 19

The BT Wholesale Availability Checker has been re-vamped and now includes a new column for the SOGEA broadband only service availability date.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
0 Ratings