cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

WHY BT..is my line slow...again

So I have a decent config speed,however my line is not even hitting 10mb,this is an absolute joke that I pay for option 3 and was supposedly to get 17mb ( not even close in 10 months) I live 460 meters from exchange,so this seems strange to me,,I use a asdl2+ modem linked to sitecom wl309 gaming router 2,may be a mod could have a look at this for me,Talk talk are enabling in my exchange nxt week do not want to join them but may have to...

Todays stats

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 9691 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 9691 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :20595 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1279 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 18170 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1014 Kbps

0 Kbps1279 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1014 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1279 Kbps

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: WHY BT..is my line slow...again

could you please post your ful router stats showing noise margin attenuation etc
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

you have a 20mb connection but your download speed is low for your profile.  have you tried running btspeedtester during the morning or early afternoon outwith peak time and see what the download speed shows.  maybe closer to what you are looking for and speed drops off at peak time

any exchange problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Darren
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

my router does not give these,however I know that it is around 7 to 8,,actaually when I did a line check on openreach 8 months ago it said to expect 17mb,,,,funny how it now says this

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 15.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 13.5Mbps and 17Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 15.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 13.5Mbps and 17Mbps.

I just get peeved off,that I pay for a product that does not give me what I expected,it like buying a tin of beans only to find it half full

thanks for your reply also 

0 Ratings
Darren
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

yes I did a check at 8am and it was about the samoe,upload is still fine,just download

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

you have a better downstream speed at 20mb than the estimate you had of 17mb (that's connection speed not download).  it's not your connection speed that is the problem it is your download speed which can be affected by exchange congestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

hi all routers give these details as they are all part of the routers set up pages the wholesale checker as you post shows 13.5 to 17 and you have a 20.5mb connection so it is better than the wholesale checker predicts it is your throughput /download speed that is low but until we can see more speed test results over a 24 hour period we cannot tell if it could be a congestion issue
0 Ratings
Darren
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

this exchange is in a place called ACLE and supports 1800 homes according to sam knows,I will check the speed again tomorrow morning and see if this has changed,I am aware that my dsl conection rate is not what I recieve,I should really be getting something at least near 15mb,especially due to the line length and db on the line,as you can see guys its a bit strange to be getting this slow speed,also I do not see his as disconnects,and the IP profile is still good,that should be dropedd buy the dslam auto if the line kepted disconnecting,

cannot find the stats you mentioned,I can find them in the modem but strangely my laptop will not connect to it when I plug in to it

thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

did you check the links I gave to see if there are any problems shown for your exchange?  I agree you would expect a download about 15mb but this can be affected by exchange congestion at peak times hence btspeedtester at off peak to see if download speed improves

0 Ratings
Darren
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

yes I did thanks,and no probs there.I did a line check this morning and it was around the same speed,seems a bit strange,I thought it was my hardware to start with then thought if it was my upload would be affected to,so cant be that,I mainly use my line for gaming,everything is hardwired,at least the upload is good which is what I need,but need the download were it should be  

0 Ratings