cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spooks136
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Waiting for Fibre since March 2010!

Alright, let me start by saying I am currently a BT customer and I am happy with my service (somewhat) however it is NOT fast enough, we’re on an ADSL connection about 3km from the exchange so I’m getting around 8-9Mbps.

Fibre is the obvious solution to this problem but I cannot order it, BT estimated we could order Fibre optic back in March-June 2010, that is almost 7 years ago!

We to this date still are unable to order Fibre internet, Openreach have pushed the dates further and further back, recently using their new checker things started to pick up pace, in November 2016 the checker went to the “Build” stage and as you would expect I was incredibly excited!

Sadly, that excitement was destroyed. Using the Roadworks.org checker, I saw that on the road where my PCP cabinet is (DA1 1SZ) BT had planned roadworks to install a Fibre cabinet from 1st of February to the 10th of February, after this date I went to check If the new cabinet had been installed and of course, there was nothing there.

No new cabinet, no sign of any recent works, nothing. I gave it a week and long behold the Openreach checker went back a step and is now on Field Survey again.

I am completely running out of patience, does anyone have ANY idea what is going on? What could be the problem?
I understand these things are not so black and white and problems can and will crop up, I am fully aware of that, these dates are estimates and can be pushed back if complications happen however what problem takes 7 years to fix?

What could be taking them so long? Is there any alternative to get faster broadband whilst I wait for this date to be pushed back again? Is there anything that can be done? Is there anyone I can contact to get a more comprehensive answer?

If any information is needed to provide a full answer I will be happy to provide.

Thanks for reading that long wall of text, I hope some sort of solution can be found soon.

Thanks very much.

-Luke  

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Waiting for Fibre since March 2010!

The only people that will be able to answer your question is Openreach.

If you use this form you can contact them. If you get an automated reply just keep sending it until you get a human response.

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

0 Ratings
Spooks136
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the speedy reply, I will try that form and see if it get's me anywhere. 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I assume that when they've went to do the installation, something was identified which made it unsuitable to locate the cab where it had been planned.

As a result Openreach will need to re plan the installation.

Your only other hope for faster broadband is Virgin, if available, or 4G.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Seems to be a BDUK funded cabinet.

Try http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/broadband/making-kent-quicker# and contact them for more information. They may be more forthcoming with Information that Openreach are.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Spooks136
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Virgin is not available in my area as there is no cable TV and I doubt they are going to do anything, 4G is something I considered as the speeds on 4G are actually really good (40Mbps Down and 20Mbps Upload) but they all have datacaps and we would go over that in less than a week. 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Have you contacted the council? They should know more.
0 Ratings
Spooks136
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

A friend of mine had contacted our council but the result was for the most part a deadend, mostly the same things that openreach had been saying. I could try contacting them myself to see if I can get something different, I will probably give that a go. 

0 Ratings