cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Wake from sleep for scan

I have BT Netprotect Plus set to scan at 4:00am on Mondays. I want to set it to wake the computer from sleep to run it so it doesn't wait till I start it up in the morning as thge scan slows it down.

Is there a setting to get it to wake the computer. I have looked in the Task Scheduler in Windows to do it there but I can't find the item in the Task Library.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wake from sleep for scan

You need to set up the task in Task Schedule in Windows.

see link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

I never managed to get my previous Windows 7 computer to wake automatically and it's the same with W8. The built-in antivirus scan (Windows Defender) is included in the scheduled maintenance, which should run from sleep or as soon as the computer is idle. Despite having set it at a daily time when this should happen, it doesn't so I just run it manually when prompted. Because of this I've set a daily AV scan to run from the Task Scheduler; that works without fail but only when the computer is active - it still won't wake from sleep.

Of course it's not much of a problem with Defender as it runs completely unnoticed while the computer is in use. The resource hog which is McAfee is a different story though, and best advice is to remove it in favour of something better (see many other forum threads on the subject). There are plenty of free AVs available from the internet if you don't have W8. I used to use Microsoft Security Essentials which was as gentle as the Windows Defender which has replaced it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I have now found a work around on this. There appears to be no way to start up McAfee from the Task Scheduler , at least as far as i could find. I suspect that this is because it is designed to be launched with the start of Windows and it is always running.

However, I set McAfee to run the scan at 4:00 in the morning and then went into the task scheduler and set up a weekly task to start a program (in my case I chose Notepad) at 3:59 and to wake the computer to do it. In this way, the computer is awake when the scan is due to be run and it proceeds accordingly.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Well done. At least you've managed to get the computer to wake, which I've been able to do. I'll have another look at it when I feel the need.

Meanwhile you might like to have a look at this.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings