Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baconnugget
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Wallsend Exchange 70mb download 10mb upload via LAN

Go to solution

Hi i finally got infinity installed, the drop cable to master socket wasnt rewired but the speeds are still excellent so far. Im getting the 75mb profile, and getting on speedtest 70mb download and 10mb upload using a LAN.

Can anyone recommend a router to acheive better download speeds via wifi? on wifi i get between 15mb and 20mb but since im already using the four LAN ports for other devices i think it would be worthwhile investing in a better quality wifi extender

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wallsend Exchange 70mb download 10mb upload via LAN

Go to solution

15-20mb over wireless would indicated your device(s) are only wireless "g" compatable. For better speeds you will need to upgrade them to wireless "n" if possible.

For laptops or PC's there are usb adaptors at reasonable money (less than £10)

0 Ratings
baconnugget
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Im using wireless N on 40mhz on Hub, some of my devices are iphone 4 15/20mb, macbook air 2010 40mb, ps3 10mb which are all wireless N i believe

0 Ratings
shought
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
My HomeHub3 I get 50 down and 15 Up.

Using my iPhone 4s with Wireless N I get 20 down and 14 Up.

I don't think you will get around more than 30 down over wireless.

If you feel wireless is too slow and don't like a lot of cables you could try out Powerline.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

If your devices are wireless N, I would have expected you to get more speed. You do have to bear in mind that there are many things which can interfere with a wireless signal though so it is not an exact science.

40mhz on your hub is fine if your devices can use dual channel otherwise it is a waste of time.

Single channel supports up to 150mbps which will give you about 70-80 mbps throughput in ideal conditions.

Personally I never liked the HH3 and replaced it immediately after install with a lowly D-Link 615 (with DD-WRT) which out-performed it wirelessly.

I have never relied on ISP's for routers they are bound to be produced as cheap as possible and put in a nice looking case IMHO.

I ended up using a Belkin N1 Vision which performed well and also tested several other makes of router without problems.

If you wish to change the router do so with the flavour of your choice. Just make sure it will support a PPPoE connection. Cable routers will do so as will some others.

0 Ratings
baconnugget
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

i testing in parts of house and macbook air seem to reach 70mb on some places over wifi so guess there must be some interference in some places, ps3 is the 40gb version so i guess the wifi adaptor in that isnt very good as goes to a max of 12mb probably best to connect via a lan. overall im very pleased but would of prefered the engineer to rewire from the dropwire to master socket. i even removed cupboards and skirting boards for the installation day lol if he left some wire i could have done it myself since my wire is from the 1980's

0 Ratings
meandu229
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Correct me if im wrong but if one device is of G standard (which I think old Ps3s are) then doesnt the router bump everything down to G 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-Home-Hub-3-G-N-Mixed-Mode-Speed-Issue/td-p/...

0 Ratings
baconnugget
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

thanks for the advice ill play around with it, the only reason i need a steady speed on ps3 as i use lovefilm and want to watch in the best quality i believe lovefilm HD streams at 12mb/s 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@meandu229 wrote:

Correct me if im wrong but if one device is of G standard (which I think old Ps3s are) then doesnt the router bump everything down to G 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-Home-Hub-3-G-N-Mixed-Mode-Speed-Issue/td-p/...

Forgot to add that.Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings