Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macio
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Want ADSL2+ for my very poor line, BT will not change my modulation

Hello

I am trying to get back to this issue.

Few months back I have moved my broadband connection from DEMON to BT. Main reason for it was that I was told that my exchange supports ADSL2+ and this technology is much better in supporting poor lines.

Due to a distance from Exchange I am lucky to get any kind of Internet connection using Annex A modulation. I am at work at the moment and can't give you stats but noise levels are high for my line due to distance been 4km+ from exchange.

I have used various line checkers before (before moving over to BT from Demon) and they all were advising that minimum speed on supported ADSL2+ service should be between 1mb and 2.5mb. Some of those calculators have fields to input noise levels for upload and download links. As they all came out very similar (including initial test from BT when I was placing  the order), I decided to move from Demon.

After initial switch and 10 days of establishing stable connection my download speed was between 350kb and 450kb. When I checked my router configuration every few days it was staying at Annex A. There was no once try to change to ADSL2+ service.

So when I called BT support I was told that this is the speed that my line can support etc etc. As I work as IT Manager myself and deal with all sort of technical systems I understand this and was trying to convince that person (and few others on the phone after that) that all I want is for BT to set my modulation to ADSL2+ rather then basic ADSL. However after few phone calls I gave up. I was promised that this will be changed or looked at but nothing has been done about it. I got a bit upset but with amount of work piling on just didn't have a heart to chase it.

Well - I have now a bit more time and I am looking for community support admin to help me with my issue. I have read a lot of good staff about you guys and what a great service you provide to our community.

Can you please advise me what do I need to do, to get my line's modulation changed over to ADSL2+. I know it doesn't HAVE to work but until I try I will have this feeling in my mind that I could get double the speed or more.

If your download speed would be 4mb and I would be looking to get to 4.5mb then I wouldn't bother anyone with it. But for me getting extra half a meg is a huge difference and I hope that with your help we can achieve it.

Kind Regards,

Macio

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Want ADSL2+ for my very poor line, BT will not change my modulation

welcome to the forum

before any help/suggestions we need to get more information as will the mods    please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

When you can put your down attenuation figure in this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php (remember the increase of attenuation) this will give a good estimate, I doubt if you have good set up at home already it will double, ADSL2 etc becomes more sensitive and fragile rather than its more robust basic ADSL , also  without your stats its hard to advise. 

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

You can always check whether your exchange is actually 21CN enabled here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search .

And even if it is/isn't because of being on a long line, you're unlikely to see any real improvements, and it may even be a change for the worst because 21CN can be more aggressive on longer lines.

Here on the forum, we can advise you on products and technniques to enhance the reliability, stability and speed of your IPStream service.  This includes CPE that utilises special chipsets to increase the performance of the service.

0 Ratings
Macio
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Nil

doing Kidz calculation i get 1632kbps, IP profile 1250

here are my router stats

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:34:33
Downstream:544 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.0 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):66.7 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):16.1 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):958 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):4 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2 / 0

0 Ratings
Macio
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Imjolly,

I am connectyed directly to master socket. I have tried test socket as well (so no internal wiring in a way) and same speed.

I have not tried quiet line test as of yet.

My router stats are in the post above.

Cheers

Macio

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

if you have other sockets it would be preferable to connect to the test socket while you try and get a better speed.  as you say that will eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring.

with your attenuation of 66/67 if you were upgraded to 21CN assuming your exchange has been upgraded then your attenuation would probably increase by 2db.  This will probably give little speed increase if any but will bring a very aggressive system should there be any noise on your line.

connection speed is very short is this due to a manual reset or a hub reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

hi it is worth noting that changing to adsl2+ will increase your attenuation by another 3/4db making connection speed even less
0 Ratings
Macio
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

So looks like due to already hi noise if i move over to ADSL2+ my Downstream Attenuation would go up to 69 which is not supported by any technology ...

thanks for your help on this one. looks like i have to wait for my LPOP to be upgraded to fibre (exchane is already done) so i can get infinity, but this can be years away 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

this link may help you finding out when fibre is available to you https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
0 Ratings