cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Want BTInfinty but Internal phone wiring is poor - what would you do?

Currently have broadband with fast.co.uk and thinking of making the switch to Infinity.

Main thing putting me off is that the internal phone wiring in my new build house was poor (connection was always dropping out and slow when router connected to a slave socket)and so have my router connected to the master socket (with the faceplate off) in the master bedroom (yes the builders put the master socket there).

If I get infinity I want to have the master socket behind the TV in the living room – there is currently a socket there. But I don’t want to use the existing internal wiring as I think this will give me a poor connection.

I see 2 options.

1. Engineer connects new wire from junction box to the socket in the living room. This would lose the other slave sockets but that is no problem as use homeplugs. Would/could the engineer do this given that already have wiring to that socket (albeit **bleep**).
  2. Get a new second line put in from junction box to back of TV in living room. Can you have 2 lines from 1 junction box without speed issues? Benefit I see of this is I can keep fast.co.uk during the transition period (to make sure infinity gets up and running ok). Main negative being cost for a month or 2 but will cancel the original line/fast.co.uk once new line and Infinity up and running.

Any thoughts/recommendations from your experience?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Want BTInfinty but Internal phone wiring is poor - what would you do?

Good afternoon Fat8oyFat, and welcome to the forum.....

Do you get just the broadband from fast.co.uk or the line rental as well ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Moved my line rental to Primus a while ago so not currently a BT customer.

Cheers,

FBF

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Can you put your address into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address and post the result after removing your address ?

It would give a more accurate report if you used the telephone number checker, but as you are not a bt customer, I don't think it would work.......

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Phone number worked; not sure if this is because I used to be a BT customer.  Report below :

Fibre.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

@Fat8oyFat wrote:

If I get infinity I want to have the master socket behind the TV in the living room – there is currently a socket there.

Not a good idea if you have a plasma tv. Plasma tv's are notorious for creating interference on broadband lines, so the further away you can locate the hub from the plasma tv, the better......

But I don’t want to use the existing internal wiring as I think this will give me a poor connection.

If the cable is relatively new and is cat5 or above, there should be no problem.....

Engineer connects new wire from junction box to the socket in the living room. This would lose the other slave sockets but that is no problem as use homeplugs.

This would be ,by far, the best solution (as long as you don't have one of those dreaded plasma tv's)

Get a new second line put in from junction box to back of TV in living room. Can you have 2 lines from 1 junction box without speed issues? Benefit I see of this is I can keep fast.co.uk during the transition period (to make sure infinity gets up and running ok). Main negative being cost for a month or 2 but will cancel the original line/fast.co.uk once new line and Infinity up and running.

Junction boxes should have only 1 cable in (from outside) and 1 cable out (to the master socket). You cannot have 2 isp's supplying broadband on the same line. You need a migration code (from your current supplier) to transfer the line to bt......

THERE IS NO TRANSITION PERIOD........

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

Given the maximum speed quoted this should be a self installation so there would be no engineer attending.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Agreed....but I wasn't sure if the line is with another company and is being transferred to bt, whether or not an engineer would be required......(in order to ensure the best speed possible ?)

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

@conrad wrote:

Given the maximum speed quoted this should be a self installation so there would be no engineer attending.

You might be interested in reading the first couple of lines of this post........

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-new-install-speed-drop-after-power...

Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

Shirts - There is a random factor at the moment as to whether or not you get an engineer - for speeds <40 it is supposed to be self install but as you have pointed out it does happen. It will be interesting to see if all infinity installs revert back to engineer visits following the Watchdog programme (unlikely i know)