Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Want Infinity on a Slight Odd Set Up...

Go to solution

The BT phone line arrives at my house into a grey box on the wall outside (note though this is not a XNTE box).  From there it goes to a NTE5 master socket in the hall.  It also goes to a small while box in an upstairs bedroom (former office) then on to a standard BT extension box (since converted with a Solwise ADSL faceplate).  I know if I remove the bottom faceplate off the hall NTE5 box all the BT sockets (one other) in the house die except the one in the office.  So I suspect I have in fact two master sockets on a star system.

My ADSL BT Hub 2A is currently in the bedroom/office with a connection speed of around 10Mbit/s.

I quite fancy Infinity but I would like the router/Hub in the bedroom/office, but I don't want lots of extra holes drilled in my walls running data cables to the bedroom from the NTE5 socket in the hall.  So when the engineer arrives would he be willing to do one of the following (and would it cost me):

1. Install the Infinity face plate on the Hall NTE5 box and replace the bedroom/office box with an NTE5 Infinity box too.  We could then hook up the router/hub to the bedroom/office socket.

2. As the bedroom/office is a master socket any way.  Replace the box with a NTE5 Infinity box, then (using the same holes) route a cable from the back of the small white box to the hall and replace the hall box with a standard extension box.  (Hence changing the system to a single master box set up in the bedroom/office).

My main concern is if the engineer fits an Infinity faceplate in the hall thinking it will filter out all the VDSL signals from the rest of the house, then it won't as the bedroom/office socket does not go through the NTE5 socket in the hall.  What would happen if I popped a phone in the bedroom/office socket then?

My main preference is for option one as it causes the smallest amount of aggravation to me!

As the "master" bit of the bedroom/office is not the socket itself.  Could I replace the current box for an NTE5 one?

Has anyone else got a similar set up?  What did you do?

Thanks.

Edit: Also I have a full face ADSL filter on the front of the NTE5 Socket in the hall which I fitted some years ago.  I don't quite remember where I put the original bottom half of the NTE5 socket... Smiley Indifferent

Chris.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Want Infinity on a Slight Odd Set Up...

Go to solution

The engineer will have to isolate the spit wiring somehow and make sure your setup only has one master socket and infinity filter.

Nothing the engineer does will cost you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Don't forget the modem is linked to the router (HH3) via Ethernet so can be placed upto 100m away without issue. Could this be an option?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
There is a problem of power. There is not a power point near the NTE5 socket. I think I'll get the master moved up stairs and the current master changed into an extension.

This will allow us to route a cable back from the bedroom/office back on itself & up to the current NTE5 socket.

Will I have to warn the engineer that the install is not plug 'n play?
Chris.
0 Ratings