cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DC74
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Want to change latency type on my line

Last year I had a new line laid into my home after 3 years of problems with the old one. Earlier this year I opted for the upto 20 Meg speed, my line is outputting around 18.6 which is fine however recently i've been experiencing disruption to my line.

Sometimes the Hub will reset itself, then when it comes on the broadband light flashes yellow for ages whilst the other lights are blue sometimes upto 5 mins will go by, requiring me to reset it manually to achieve a stable blue light & connection.

I've checked my latency type and found its interleaved. My old line was Fast type as I a game alot and I need a fast stable connection. I think it must have been an oversight when they connected my new line at the exchange they forgot to use the same settings, I do have an I-plate installed so its not an interference thing either.

Is there anyway I can get my Latency set to Fast type please?. My download speeds are stable although sometimes erratic so its not a line problem I have just an exchange setting.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Zarjaz
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Want to change latency type on my line

DLM has applied interleaving, because it has seen fit to do so. You are complaining of dropping sync, so getting the sync stable is more important than gaining a few ms off your ping time.

0 Ratings
DC74
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

No I just want my connection to be as stable as possible for gaming there's nothing more frustrating than playing a game with a friend thats gone on for hours only to have the ISP drop. It didnt happen when I was on Fast latency type on the old line and the old line synced almost immediately after being manually reset, the problem was the old line couldn't handle the new speeds so it was changed to fast Type.

All i'm asking for is that my latency be changed to Fast, which will sort out both my problems

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Interleaving does make your link more stable, and DLM only applies it if it's seen as necessary ie the line is unstable without interleaving.

Interleaving has no real bearing on how quickly the line retrains after a disconnection. The fact that you're getting disconnections at all, would suggest that things would be even worse with interleaving turned off.

DLM applies interleaving in order to lessen the effects of an underlying problem with the line.

DC74
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Right, then clearly theres something not quite right with my line then, shouldn't be taking ages to re-sync after a reset. Is fast latency still better for gamers though?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 7

@DC74 wrote:

Right, then clearly theres something not quite right with my line then, shouldn't be taking ages to re-sync after a reset. Is fast latency still better for gamers though?

Depends on your definition of "better for gamers".....

You either have an interleaved connection that affords stability, maintained IP profile, and maximum sync rate, with maybe the addition of roughly 20-40 milliseconds latency to server connections, as a worst case scenario.

Or you have a slightly lower latency connection, with no forward error correction, possible rise in noise margin, resulting in lower sync speeds and associated IP profile and throughput.

A no brainer really ....  over to you.    😉

Tags (1)
Highlighted
ISP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

To be perfectly honest removing interleaving is not the be all and end all. Generally removing it can help but it can also lower your sync and profile speeds dramatically. If you are getting a high sync rate at present and don't care about going down a couple of meg in speed you should ask to have it removed. You may find your latency improve. I would double check with BT that your upload isn't maxed to upto 448 kbps still as it is with adsl1. Good luck.... oh aye make sure you are using an ethernet cable if you're serious at gaming to help rule out and wireless issues. Hope this info helps you