Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azuresauron
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Wanting to leave due to price increases

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I discovered this morning that I was charged now for BT sports, only a fiver, but this is a charge I new nothing about.

I did know that the European Footie charge was a fiver, but whenever I tried viewing that channel, It said contact supplier to recieve. Fine, I had no interest in the Champions League anyhoo.

I continued as usual, until I was a few quid short on my BT bill. I checked and there it was a total of £6.29 for BT sports, I am getting a discount of £14.99 for the rest of the sports. However upon contacting BT I am informed that I can stop the £5 charge, but would only recieve BT sport 1, not 2, or ESPN

As an Infinity 2 customer, I feel that is  wrong. I only make a couple of calls a month.

I have asked about my options to cancel, ( I really hate stealthy money grabbing ), and am informed that my contract is finished in December. Added to the Broadband and line rental rises, im expected to pay even more for less.

Can anybody please advise me of my options, Live chat is down and I really cant be bothered talking to another Sheradan.

Thanks in advance.

John

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Wanting to leave due to price increases

Go to solution

you had 30 days to cancel your broadband contract from the time you received the email advising the intended increases - has that expired?  if not you can cancel without charge but if it has then you will get cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Azuresauron
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Never noticed any email, definately nothing through post.

Thanks for reply.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

In that case, contact them and ask why they didn't inform you of the price rises.  You should have had an email or letter for both the BT Sport price rise, and the general line rental and broadband rises.  They apply on different dates, so would have been notified separately.

It's possible that you haven't been officially notified about the broadband and phone rises yet, but will be very soon.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
The BT Sport price rise was from Aug 1st.
The phone, broadband and TV price rises are from Sep 20th. If you cancel now due to those rises you shouldn't have to pay any early termination charges. The only problem might be if you have BT Sport on Sky on a 12 month minimum contract if it wasn't cancelled before Aug 1st.

Check out your MyBT page or the web site help pages for more info. You should have also received emails, letters, or info with a printed bill about both these changes.

The £5 was never just for BT Sport Europe. It was an increase in the overall price+discount of the BT Sport pack that you are subscribed to.
The new BT Sport Lite pack was also launched which is just BT Sport 1.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

The BT Sport shouldn't be a problem.  BT made such a shambles of how they announced the price rise that Ofcom had a quiet word with them.  BT have now agreed to cancel for free any sport package up to one month after the customer is billed.

See http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/blank/a_id/53696/?s_cid=con_FURL_btsportreferral

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Actually an additional August amnesty period was reported as in place right back when BT first announced the BT Sport price rises. A BT spokesperson was quoted about it on a web news article. So it wasn't just in response to recent complaints to Ofcom and was always planned in some form right from the start. Smiley LOL

I agree that it should mean BT Sport cancellation is still not a problem for up to four weeks after your bill, though it does now say you have to complain rather than just ask!

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/bt-sport-customer-advice/

Ofcom has subsequently spoken to BT and it has confirmed that:

• Customers will have up to four weeks after they receive their first bill that includes the new £5 monthly charge to complain to BT (this includes customers that are billed quarterly); and
  • Any customer who does complain will be offered a 'no quibble' refund of any charges paid; and the opportunity to downgrade to BT Sport Lite or cancel their BT Sport service.
0 Ratings
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

@umpire - I currently have phone, broadband & TV (inc. BT Sports) from BT and still have over a year left on my contract. Does this mean, because of the September price increases, I can cancel within my contract without having to pay any early termination fees? I just want to have this clarified if possible. Thanks.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Yes.

From the email that was sent out:-

We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days5 if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time.

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
Yes you can phone the normal 0800800150 and say 'cancel'. That should put you through to the Customer Options Team who can verify things.

In general you would give 30 days' notice to cancel BT TV and BT Sport with them agreeing no early termination charges. If you really want to push it you can try and avoid the BT Sport notice period and also get a refund from Aug 1st by complaining as detailed earlier as per Ofcom. Depends whether you want to continue watching BT Sport for up to another 30 days or not?

Also tell them you are going to change phone and broadband provider due to the price rises and according to other posts they should put a note on your account saying no early termination charges should be applied if that happens via the normal 14 day phone+broadband transfer process. Your new provider should sort out the transfer with BT.

Check with BT though.