Go to solution
Many thanks to both of you.
0 Ratings
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Re: Wanting to leave due to price increases

Go to solution

So, I contacted BT today to see if I could cancel. The first person I spoke to said that I would have to pay £30 on termination (even though I would be moving to another Openreach supplier). The second person, spoke a lot of numbers at me, then said I would have to pay a large amount for equipment fees if I cancelled early, as I am still in contract.

I'm just wondering if both of these charges are real, and have to be paid, if I want to cancel within my minimum contract using the 30 day escape clause?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

As long as you are moving to another provider you will not be charged £30 which is a cease charge if you were moving away from Openreach to Virgin or another cable provider.

You will also not be liable to any early termination charges if you have pointed out to BT that you are cancelling your service because of the price increases. It may be that you will have to return any equipment if you are still within the first minimum period contract but if you have been with BT for more than your initial minimum contract periiod and have not had any new equipment since you will not be liable to any fees.

See BT's Terms and Conditions

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

Azuresauron
Beginner
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for all the responses.

My argument with BT involves the £5 charge without me knowing.

Every TV advert for the Euro Sport channel stated that in order to receive it you would have to pay a fiver. I wasnt interested so didnt persue it. Knew nothing of charges until my bill was higher than expected.

Thento find out that if I canncelled it, then my sevice would be reduced to just BT sport 1. I just dont see the fairness of the system involved here. Would rather quit BT all together, I only use it for BB and occsional calls.

My contract is up in December, theyve asked me to call back in October and they will make me some " Great " offer.

Think Ill just pay whatever is due now and leave.

( I know its not a lot of money, but its a principle ) Im already paying 40 quid just for BB and phone line..

0 Ratings
Azuresauron
Beginner
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

Spoken with retentions. A temporary solution is in place.

I will discuss it again towards end of my term.

Thanks once more.

John

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution
Just to make it clear the £30 charge is probably the line cease charge. You pay it if you move to a provider that doesn't use the Openreach infrastructure, such as Virgin cable. You will also pay it if Openreach just cease your line on a date agreed by you.

That is why I said to give 30 days' notice for BT TV and BT Sport, but don't do that for phone and broadband (unless moving to Virgin cable or leaving the country etc). The normal switching provider process will handle that without you having to pay the cease charge.
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution
It seems that every year or so Ofcom try and make things clearer and yet it's still as clear as mud to most people! None of the providers really help to make things simple as they don't want you to leave.
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution
Yep, I got the feeling BT customer services were deliberately throwing numbers at me to make me stay. (which I think I will do now).

Thanks for everyone's help on here. Glad that Azuresauron managed to get things resolved (temporarily at least). Sorry for thread-crashing - I'll start my own thread soon, as I have queries regarding billing.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Don't assume that BT's people are well trained, or even very honest, when it comes to retaining customers.

However, I have found that the more likely it is that you are about to leave, the better the deal that they manage to find.  Invariably, the first offer they make you is not the best they can offer.

milegurts
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Just a note that if you have paid line rental saver for the 12 months then you can not move your phone line from BT without losing your remaining credit. Which makes getting broadband with another supplier virtually impossible.

0 Ratings