cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonali
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Wanting to renewing contract with Infinity 2 and TV – 7 questions

I'm in a very similar situation. I have been emailed by BT stating that I will be charged £5 per month from August 1st for BT Sport unless I sign up to a new 18 month contract. When I took out the original one in 2012 I was paying £22.85 for option 2 Infinity and the current price is £30, but I've noticed that a raft of price increases over the past few years means that I'm currently paying £29.86. As this is only 14p less per month than the current price it seems to be worth signing up for the 18 months, but I don't actually want BT Sports. Therefore my options are to carry on paying £29.86 a month after cancelling BT Sports or pay £30 a month and get it included for "free", even though I don't want it!

What I'd like is a discounted option 2 and forego the BT Sport thing altogether. I too have a BT Vision box and the £7 something extra channels pack, but the thing hardly ever gets turned on because of the awful UI. The only time it gets used is when there is tennis on Eurosport because my wife likes watching it, but even that is useless as it usually switches to Sky Sports 3 when any tournament shown on there reaches the quarter finals stage!

If I do sign up again what are my chances of a free or discounted Home Hub upgrade? I have a HH3 currently...
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 19

Simonali,

If you don't want BT Sport then just ring BT and cancel it altogether. The same goes for BT TV if you don't use it. As long as you have completed the contract minimum term there will be no cancellation charges.

Regarding Infinity, talk to the Customer Options Team as they can often give a new discount for 12 months if you re-contract Infinity. Also without the BT Sport complication you would probably only need a 12 months minimum term on a new Infinity contract. Have you also considered whether Infinity 1 would suffice as it would save you a good few quid more each month.

Can't see why they would offer a free HH5 if your current set up is working fine. See the earlier link to the help page about it.

In summary, talk to the Customer Options Team to discuss your options and what they can offer if you re-contract any services. That is what they are there for.
macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Well I called them on 0800 800 030 and went for the cancellation option. Spent 15 minutes with a chap who was trying to sort out an upgrade from my old BT Vision box to a YouView+ box and line went dead. Very annoying.

I called back and started again with a nice lady. Very helpful.

12 month contract on BT Infinity 2 for 26.85 (after 12 months goes up to £30 I think she said).

Entertainment Max would be £15 (or Entertainment Starter for £10) and this included the “HD Extra Channels” without needing to sign up to £4 a month. I double checked it included Eurosport HD as it was not clear on the internet. She said it was…wuppee.

Just the old box changing to a new box….I’ll check……no can’t do it. What if I pay? OK £195.

I said I thought that was rather ludicrous as I was committing to another term with BT and adding TV products. She explained and double checked that I could get all the same channels through a BT Vision Box. I tried to explain the YouView+ box was better for reasons other than just receiving the channels.

In the end she said would you just like to cancel the sport??

I said thanks but let’s leave it there for now while I research TalkTalk further.

All very confusing. I don’t mind paying for a good service but just feel another 12 months with the old BT box after signing up for another term seems wrong.

I love my Freesat Humax HDR100S and have been led to believe that YouView+ is even better so this is a sticking point really.

I’ll wait and think I think. £5 a month won’t kill me for now.

Somehow from Talk Talk Fibre and Wonderful Freesat and Love Film 2 years ago I am slowly being sucked into spending and committing lots more.

It’s not easy but thanks for your advice. I will keep you posted.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 19

As I mentioned before the £195 full charge for the Youview+ box might disappear if you ask again after your current BT TV minimum term is completed. The reps are probably just reading off the screen what the computer generated. No guarantee of that though. Different customers seem to get different info at times. Who knows how things work?
macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

@umpire wrote:
As I mentioned before the £195 full charge for the Youview+ box might disappear if you ask again after your current BT TV minimum term is completed. The reps are probably just reading off the screen what the computer generated. No guarantee of that though. Different customers seem to get different info at times. Who knows how things work?

umpire I think you are right. As I am still on a contract with BT Vision they probably can't let me upgrade box for £35 activation fee and are standing firm for the £195 which they didn't seem that interested in offering me in the first place until I pushed them. Other folk on other posts have had a similar issue.

Also on other posts I read that the red button doesn't work with Vision+ but does with YouView+ and this will be an issue when the Champons League comes on with several matches you can watch. Also if you have Netfix you must have a YouView+ box so should have tried that new chestnut on them by trying to order it!

So I will wait until next month when I am out of contract. Also spotted BTInfinity2 has faster upload speeds (10) than it did and with speeds of 44/12 on BT Infinity 2 I would be better dropping to BT Infinity 1 unlimited (40/10).

Waiting and not diving in might save me a lot in the end.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 19

I'm in a similar position to you. I have Infinity 1 (40GB), the BT Vision+ box just for Sky Sports and BT Sport really, and my current line rental, broadband and BT TV minimum terms and certain discounts all end in early Aug. I was looking to try and avoid cost increases and hopefully even reduce costs.

I have been on TV Essential at a discounted price of £2 for a year which did me for the purpose of getting the sports TV channels. I was hoping that they might have sent us old BT Vision+ box users a free BT Youview+ box by now, but no such luck!

I've already given notice to end the Sky Sports 1,2 & 5 and lose my long term, no end date £5 discount on that. Smiley Sad  I've now got to decide what to do regarding the end of certain other discounts, the Aug BT Sport price increase and the inflation busting BT line rental and broadband increases coming in Sep.

To be honest some of the phone plus broadband offers out there from other providers look pretty tempting right now. How much over the odds am I wiling to pay just for the luxury of BT Sport is the question. Not looking forward to the annual negotiations with BT. It does get tiresome having to go through the same process every year or so. Other providers are probably no better though. 

macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

I read somewhere that if you have any discounts at all then they won't let you have a new box for a simple activation fee (£35). When the Sky discount ends and your main contract ends you might have a better chance of a deal. I will try next month and see what happens.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 19

Yes, a year ago I was told if I moved to Youview on a new contract then I would most probably lose the Sky Sports discount, though they weren't really sure as it was applied at a different level to normal fixed period contract related discounts. I was also told they couldn't do the £2 TV Essential on a new box. So I stuck with the annoying but cheap BT Vision+ box for another year on new discounted contracts. Unlike Youview it also allowed me to have Sky Sports 5 while they still had the Champions League matches.

The problem is that things are so complicated that even the BT reps don't know the answers half the time!

Like you I'll have a think in Aug and not rush into anything. Have kept BT Sport running at £5 from Aug for now.

They must have plans to phase out BT Vision at some point in time?
macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Wow, 12 months and I let it slide along with no contract. Costly to be so stubborn.

I finally called them today and agreed a new contract so hopefully my £74.88 is now cheaper by £22.89 a month at £51.99 and I get upgraded to the Entertainment Max channels.

Line rental £18.99

BT Infinity 1 unlimited (was 2 but only got 40 MB) - means my download is the same but upload drops from 15MB to 10 MB (maybe 9?) £22

TV - Entertainment Max £11

I have to pay around £8 for a new TV box to be delivered - old box packed in just before the Euros football!

No new Smart Hub unless I want to pay £50 - they did say I would be under warranty from now on so I guess that means any problems and I will likely get a Smart Hub.

All on a 12 month contract.

0 Ratings