cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Wanting to renewing contract with Infinity 2 and TV – 7 questions

It should be really simple but I am struggling a bit. Sorry if this seems like a list of questions but hopefully if some of you can answer some of these this thread will not only help me but hopefully help others.

I am currently on:

“Unlimited BT Infinity 2 with Unlimited Weekend Calls” £27.65

“Unlimited Anytime Calls Add-on” £7.50

“BT TV - Entertainment Subscription” £7.45

“BT Sports” £13.50 – but refunded due to my Internet package deal

“BT Sport HD Pack” - £3

“BT Privacy at Home - Caller Display” £1.75 (looks like this was only free for 12 months and I had a 2 year deal)

I pay the “Line Saver Rental” annual cost to save a few quid £13.32 instead of 15.99

So I get a monthly bill of £47.35 (not counting the line rental).

My TV Box is a BT Vision box.

My router is a Home Hub 4 (i.e. with a separate white Openreach modem mounted on the wall warming the wall and blackening it a bit)

So now I have to renew my contract by the end of the month or get charged for the BT TV Sport package (I seem to remember it being £5?) but most of the forums are regarding those with Sky boxes (not me).

So, and here are the questions, I guess as the BT website doesn’t seem all that clear for “existing” customers, assuming I renew the contract for 12 months or even 18 (see later)....

1. What equivalent package do I sign up to – is it called “Entertainment Max (exclusive to existing customers only)”. Is there an activation fee?

1. Do I need / get a new box. Is this for free or do I pay some/all of the cost – I assume the norm is the YouView+ box. Do I need to ask for it?

1. Do I get a new Home Hub 5 for free. If not, and I ask for one, how much?

1. Do I need to re-sign up for the HD Sport channels – is this still £3 or free for a bit or whatever?

1. Why is Eurosport not in HD? Is it with the new package? I spotted a bolt on called “HD Extra” for £4/month which includes Eurosport HD (1&2) and it states “Get 13 of your favourite TV channels in stunning high definition. And if you add HD Extra with BT Sport, you'll also get BT Sport in HD at no extra cost.” Does this mean pay £4 instead of £3 and get BT Sports HD plus the others (including Eurosport HD)?

1. How long do I need to sign up for? 12/18 months? I spotted this “To get BT Sport Pack for FREE, you will need to renew your TV and broadband contract for 18 months”. But aren’t some things only free for 12 months like ““BT Privacy at Home - Caller Display” so is this a rock and a hard place.

1. Finally, I don’t think the line is very clear and has never been since installation (2 years ago). If you open the master socket up, unplug the internet and plug into the master socket the phone it is definitely clearer. Will BT check/correct this for free?

It appears that something so simple is made to be quite complicated.

BT called here today and when the wife mentioned / asked about a new box they seemed to get scared and more or less hung up. I just want to be armed with a few facts before I call them. I am not really trying to save a load of money but just want a fair crack of the whip.

Sorry for so many questions but I am really confused and wanted to know a few basics before I called them.

Cheers all

macker

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Wanting to renewing contract with Infinity 2 and TV – 7 questions

I suggest you phone customer options on 0800 800 030 they are UK based and will sort out the best package for you
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 19

@macker6464 wrote:
  1. What equivalent package do I sign up to – is it called “Entertainment Max (exclusive to existing customers only)”. Is there an activation fee?

See the different packages on this help page.

What channels and bolt-ons you get with the different BT TV packages

If you are just re-contracting on the same BT Vision+ box then you may not necessarily have to change package. They might let you stay on the older TV Entertainment if you want to.

If you want to change to a BT Youview+ box then the new TV Entertainment Plus at £10 is similar to what you currently have but with 5 more entertainment channels. Not sure if the Starter packages are available to existing BT TV customers?

When discussing things with the Customer Options Team you can try and negotiate a discount. If you tell them you don't want to pay more than the current £7.45 you might get a good deal. 

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

@macker6464 wrote:
  1. Do I need / get a new box. Is this for free or do I pay some/all of the cost – I assume the norm is the YouView+ box. Do I need to ask for it?

1. Do I get a new Home Hub 5 for free. If not, and I ask for one, how much?

If you do change from the BT Vision box to a BT Youview box on a new contract then there is normally just an activation fee for the new box as long as you have completed your existing BT TV contract minimum term. I think this is normally £35, but BT do some offers where they reduce it or waive it. So would need to see what the web site and Customer Options Team say.

As you already have Infinity, an Openreach VDSL modem and a HomeHub 4 then I see no reason why BT would offer you a free HomeHub 5 just because you re-contracted the broadband. If you really want one then I believe you should be able to get it at a reduced price, though many would say the combination you have is more stable.

See  How can I get a new BT Home Hub?

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 19

@macker6464 wrote:
  1. Do I need to re-sign up for the HD Sport channels – is this still £3 or free for a bit or whatever?

1. Why is Eurosport not in HD? Is it with the new package? I spotted a bolt on called “HD Extra” for £4/month which includes Eurosport HD (1&2) and it states “Get 13 of your favourite TV channels in stunning high definition. And if you add HD Extra with BT Sport, you'll also get BT Sport in HD at no extra cost.” Does this mean pay £4 instead of £3 and get BT Sports HD plus the others (including Eurosport HD)?

No you don't need to re-contract BT Sport or BT Sport HD, they can just stay in place,

but ...

If you currently have Infinity and TV Entertainment then why are you paying £3 for BT Sport HD?

HD Extra for £3 gives you the BT Sport HD and many other entertainment channels in HD (including Eurosport). The standalone BT Sport HD is aimed at those not on an entertainment BT TV package or getting BT Sport on Sky. Look to replace BT Sport HD with HD Extra when you re-contract.

Note: Both HD Extra and standalone BT Sport HD are increasing to £4.

Note: Eurosport channels are not part of the BT Sport pack and are included with the other entertainment channels.

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 19

@macker6464 wrote:
  1. How long do I need to sign up for? 12/18 months? I spotted this “To get BT Sport Pack for FREE, you will need to renew your TV and broadband contract for 18 months”. But aren’t some things only free for 12 months like ““BT Privacy at Home - Caller Display” so is this a rock and a hard place.

See this help page.

BT Sport Price Changes

Yes BT are telling people in general that they have to re-contract both BT TV and BT broadband for 18 months minimum term if they want the full BT Sport pack for free on BT TV (£5 if you don't re-contract). However some people in certain circumstances have been told different. Ask Customer Options I suppose. Don't re-contract now using the on-line form as you will tie yourself in to a far worse deal as you won't be able to negotiate any new discounts and any current ones will still end as originally planned.

Note: That doesn't necessarily mean you have to re-contract the BT phone line rental for 18 months. That is normally 12 months minimum term with the free caller display offer. Yes things start to get out of sync!

Note: The BT Sport itself is I think usually just a 1 month minimum contract on BT TV and I don't think you would even need to re-contract that, just let the current contract run.

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

@macker6464 wrote:
  1. Finally, I don’t think the line is very clear and has never been since installation (2 years ago). If you open the master socket up, unplug the internet and plug into the master socket the phone it is definitely clearer. Will BT check/correct this for free?

If the fault is due to your home phone wiring from the master socket onwards then you are responsible for it. If an engineer comes out and finds it is your wiring at fault BT will charge you the £130 engineer visit fee!

See  Engineer Home Improvement Service – information and charges

You could ask for help about the unclear line separately on the Phone or Infinity forum as people usually have lots of sound advice to give that might help to avoid an unnecessary charge of £130.

macker6464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Some great info and good links. I feel a bit better about calling them now I know a lot more. Some things are still slightly unclear but that is obviously how BT want to play it! I will call them Friday hopefully, if not tomorrow.

Will update when it is sorted.

Cheers again

macker

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

When calling them try saying 'cancel' at the automated prompt. That way you should hopefully get put through to the Customer Options Team who handle retentions. Ask them to confirm which dept you are talking to in order to make sure it's not Sales as they aren't usually authorised to give the same offers to existing customers.

Also remember that you aren't obliged to accept their first offer (or any offer come to that). Your services won't end once any contract minimum terms are completed, though some discounts might come to an end. You could ask them to record any re-contracting offer on your account notes and tell them you want to have a think about it. Any specific questions can usually be answered on these forums if you want to check anything before committing to new contracts.

If you want the best offer then make it clear that you are looking for something from them in return for you committing to BT services for another 12/18 months and are aware of some of the prices/offers from other providers. They are usually keen not to lose customers when it comes to the crunch.

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 19

Another link that might be useful.

Different types of YouView boxes from BT

The Starter packages come with the mini Youview box, though as I mentioned earlier I'm not sure that they are really aimed at existing BT TV customers anyway.

If they tell you that a Youview+ box would cost £199 rather than being free then that will probably be because you are still within your current BT TV contract minimum term. They can however normally re-contract you on a good deal if 3 months or less from completing your minimum term, but if there are any issues it can sometimes simplify things if you wait until it's completed to avoid any confusion. Of course that might mean paying £5 for BT Sport and losing other discounts for a short while.

Yes, it is all over complex compared to some other providers, but BT have been like that for years.