Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Wargame: European Escalation problems

Hi

I recently purchased Wargame: European Escalation to play with my friends, however, during multiplayer play I experience severe connection issues with desync, temporary connection loss to all players (which causes the game to halt for all players while connection is re-established) and high latency.

The only other game I experience this type of connection issues with is Supreme Commander 1 which uses the same method of connecting the players - p2p - hense I am inclined to believe this type of connection is falling foul of BT's throttling of p2p connections.

I'm wondering if there is any way for BT to unrestrict the traffic specifically for games which use this method of connection (they already do this for several other services.)

Thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Wargame: European Escalation problems

No, BT apply this policy to all P2P connections, and cannot discriminate between games.

Disconnections on your BT home hub, where the broadband light changes colour, could be due to other issues.

Which BT home hub are you using, and does the broadband actually disconnect?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I use a BT Home Hub 2 and no, connection to the broadband service isn't lost entirely it's just extreme levels of packet loss to other players causing temporary "connection loss" and desync. 

I'm fairly certain this is not a connection issue with my broadband its self as I only get these problems on Wargame and Supreme Commander.

Considering BT's most recent advertising campaign is designed, in part, to attract gamers you would think they could cater for what is becomming quite a popular game.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

I assume that you are not trying to connect using wireless, as that is unsuitable for gaming?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

No, wired connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Have you tried using a static IP address, see Static IP with Home Hub

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

All the wired connections on my network have static IPs, I've even tried placing my PC in the DMZ to no avail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

It may be that the home hub cannot cope with multiple host connections, issues like that have been reported.

Have you another router you can try?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

I'm afraid I don't, however, placing a PC inside the DMZ causes it to complete bypass the router, doesn't it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@Verox wrote:

I'm afraid I don't, however, placing a PC inside the DMZ causes it to complete bypass the router, doesn't it?

Not really, it still provides NAT (Network Address Translation), but putting in in the DMZ just allows all ports to be forwarded.

The home hubs suffer from the IDS (Intruder Detection System)  log filling up, which causes problems. The IDS cannot be disabled, and tends to give false positives when multiple hosts connect.

If you can borrow or buy a different ADSL router, you could see if it helps.

0 Ratings