Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WeeChancer
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Warning - BT Infinity Installation

Hi,

Just a warning - Have just migrated to BT Infinity.  Checked with the website and the sales team that the Engineer would configure one of my computers to use the new wireless router rather than the old one as I was not going to be in town and my wife is not computer savy.

The engineer installed the new modem/router, hooked-up his laptop to check and then left - leaving my family without Internet access - very poor.  I phoned to complain and my wife was then given a two hour run around by various BT departments - including a technical department who did not know that an iMac does not have a separate cpu box!

Luckly I was able to talk my wife through the configuration remotly, but this is not the service I was expecting.  So unless you are tech savy, make sure that the Engineer configures you computer before he leaves. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
djprescott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Warning - BT Infinity Installation

Can I ask what exectly needs to be re-configured on th PC?
0 Ratings
Damsonjam
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

The engineer that did my installation helped to set up the wireless connection from the PC to the new router, tested that PC out using speednet and iPlayer before he left.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
alanchown
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

My engineer also checked that laptops also connected OK by wireless before leaviing. I connected my ipod via wireless so was happy that the wireless worked but he still checked the laptop too.
djprescott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Sorry I didn't read you post properly, I didnt realise you were referring to the wireless settings. My engineer did all those things before he left but I wondered if there was any settings to the wired PC that needed to be made.
Thanks
0 Ratings
MadGamer1988
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

The engineer also set our laptops up (well he talked me through setting up my MacBook Pro as he didnt know how to use a mac), but it was all working before he left, and he also did a speedtest.

0 Ratings
alanchown
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

There should be nothing required on your PC if connected via Ethernet.

Alan
0 Ratings