cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Warning BT increasing prices mid contract AGAIN !! Dirty Tricks

Feeling extremely cheated and gullible having renewed for another 18 months with BT.
BT pulled this stunt of hicking my prices mid contract term in my last contract and swore that BT had lost my custom come the end of that contract.
After being assured that this would not happen again I renewed with BT I just hope that I am given the chance now to terminate without penalty.
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Warning BT increasing prices mid contract AGAIN !! Dirty Tricks

Presumably you never saw this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Price-Rise-and-Cancellation-query/td-p/1354967

EDIT: Just noticed you have also posted on that thread!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 17

You are guaranteed the right to cancel under both consumer protection law and under OFCOM rules.  You just have to wait until you get your personal notification of the price rise, either by email or letter.

In the meantime, see http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46728/kw/price%20increase/c/345,6375,6376 and note the bit headed "What if I'm unhappy with the price rises?".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

I have also been a victim of this outrageous con.

Due to cost, I was contemplating changeing to another provider in January 2015. However,I was persuaded to stay with Bt on the basis that they could offer me a much reduced broadband contract of £3.85per month over a 12 month period. However,mid term this was amended to £4.10per month.

My point is : A Contract is a contract. Which,means it is fixed over a period of time and in law can only be amended by both parties agreement. Bt get around this ruse by offering a cancellation. Needless to say,I shall not be renewing with them again this year ....Disgracefull underhand tactics.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

@CircleG911 wrote:

My point is : A Contract is a contract. Which,means it is fixed over a period of time and in law can only be amended by both parties agreement. Bt get around this ruse by offering a cancellation. Needless to say,I shall not be renewing with them again this year ....Disgracefull underhand tactics.

this is atandard and as BT are breaking the existing contract terms hence why you get the chance to leave without any cancellation fees. Of course if you do not opt to leave then you are consenting to the increased charges   This is done by others - SKY increase their package costs you get the change to leave without cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

@CircleG911 wrote:

I

My point is : A Contract is a contract. Which,means it is fixed over a period of time and in law can only be amended by both parties agreement.

Which is why it is lawful. If you don't agree you can break the contract and leave free of any cancellation fees that you agreed to pay when you signed up to the contract.

If you do agree to the changes, you stay and pay the increase.

When you read the Terms and Condtions of the contract when you signed up to BT you must have missed the part in Paragraph 53 that stated they could increase prices mid term.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

Who says that all contracts have to be for a fixed price?

The BT terms clearly state that they can alter prices at any time, but will give you advance notification and the chance to end the service penalty free as per Ofcom regulations.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

I can only remember reading in the terms of one ISP that they would not increase prices during the contract minimum term. I would expect that most of them take exactly the same approach as BT. So changing provider may not stop the same situation arising in future.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Ok. So lets reverse the situation. I contact Bt and tell them that I know wish to pay less,and if they dont like it they can cancel my contract and find another ( mug ) customer. That should go down well.

As said,a Contract is a contract,if you agree something,you keep to it. Whats next ? Bt put up their prices by £20 a month and if you dont like it you can leave...Thank you very little.

The whole situation is ridiculous and should be stopped forthwith.... A complete and utter Con.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

It may be borderline lawful. That does not make it right. What a way to treat customers.