cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 1 of 7

Warning: java 7 and BT speedtest

Warning:  As has been pointed out here and on other forums, the BT speedtester is not compatible with Java 7.  This was previously a techie problem, but now Oracle seem to be rolling out Java 7 to 'ordinary' users.  If you are using the BT speedtests at the moment (eg to get ip profile information), I suggest you do not accept the Java update.

This does not apply to other speedtesters such as ThinkBroadband and speedtest.net.  It may well not apply to the BT beta speedtester, but this one is not much use anyway as it seems to have worse servers than speedtest.net (at least for me) and does not give ip profile information.

p.s. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on any of these points.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Warning: java 7 and BT speedtest

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Yes, strangely the wholesale link does work - even though you kind of go round a cicuitous route!

Ptan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 7

Can you get even the diagnostic test to work on the wholesale site?  The basic test works, but does not give profile information.  For me, the diagnostic test hangs chrome, and I can best recover by killing the appropriate process tree in Process Hacker.

At the moment, I am getting round the issue by using a different machine for the tests and making sure its Jave is not getting updated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Ah this thread explains a few things, tried to access the bt speedtest site last night and again this morning and ie9 gets stuck accessing the site & I do have java 7 with the latest update (5)

Gone back to V6u30, all working again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 7

Further exploration, and comments on http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Speedtester-bt-com-error-message/m-p/564093 showed me that my Java 7 theory wasn't completely correct.   It worked fine for some people.  It seems there are complications if you have VPN connections or other network adaptors (VirtualBox in my case).  I got the hint for the V6 issue and possible solution from http://jonathangiles.net/blog/?p=1126   I tried disabling ipv6 in the various network connections as suggested, but no help.  The solution for me was to change the default Java7 ip stack.

One way to apply this patch is:

1. make sure no Java running
  2. go to the Java control panel
  3. Java tab
  4. View ...
  5. insert -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true under Runtime Parameters
  6. close View and java control panel

I'm not sure if this will automatically be undone when you next install another Java.  Any suggestions for appropriate semi-permament alternative patches welcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

If youre using a Mac there is a Java update  which has come out today and seems to have resolved the issue. Windows 7 on a laptop never had a problem with latest Java installed

0 Ratings