cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

We only get 1.57mbps download and .37 upload on our line ! Why do we have to pay for mega speeds ?

Hi,

We recently changed to BT Unlimited broadband. I have tested our incoming line speeds for the past 2 months and we only get an average of 1.57 mbps on the line from exchange to home (between 1.37 and 1.5 to our PC's) and a pathetic upload speed of just .37 mbps !

Two questions really ... [1]  I realise we are in the countryside, by why can't our connection be faster  & [2} if it can't get any faster why are we charged the same as people who can download at mega-speeds ?

Any information would be gratefully received ... we are desperate ... We can just squeeze netflix films into our Smart TV, but Iplayer and Youtube we can forget.

Thanks in advance ... Colin & Bev

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: We only get 1.57mbps download and .37 upload on our line ! Why do we have to pay for mega speeds

Can you get Infinity? What does www.dslchecker.bt.com say is available for your line?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Re: We only get 1.57mbps download and .37 upload on our line ! Why do we have to pay for mega speeds

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

did you not run the dsl checker to see expected speed before ordering.  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Many thanks IMJolly ... We did the setup over the phone wth an adviser, who told me that we would easily match our old TalkTalk speeds (around 2.2 mbps), but we're nothing like as good I'm afraid. I've just doing the postcode check and see what it says. Thanks for the tip 😉

Oops !  ... Does anyone know where the ADSL expected speed checker is on the BT website, I can't seem to find it 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

the phone number check is more accurate
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

there is a link in ray_dorset post  just enter your phone number but remember to delete number before posting results

are you currently connected to the test socket with a new filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings