Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grewer
Contributor
Message 51 of 115

Re: Continued slow or non page loading with infinity

Go to solution

@licquorice

My connection seems pretty good this evening and therefore I haven't tried the reset.  I want to make sure I am experiencing the speed issues before trying this or the replacement DNS so that I can make a direct comparison.

I will continue to monitor and will keep this thread updated.

@grommit

I would agree the https sites are suffering more when I see the issues.  For example last night I could load **Edited** but not **Edited**  Also this site was really slow last night but seems much better today.  I was getting a ~100ms ping to community.bt.com last night and today it is ~25ms

@DavidM

Thanks for your help, it would be good to understand what the net team have to say.

MoridinUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 115

Go to solution

I had the same issues changing DNS servers seems to have fixed it so far....  I wonder wher ethe problem is though, with BTs DNS servers or with the HUB offering them as the automatically obatined ones.  I'm probably going to change the DNS servers on the hub/router rather than have to manuall reconfigure every device...

0 Ratings
Grewer
Contributor
Message 53 of 115

Go to solution

Last night the line seemed to behave itself - the first time since before Xmas.

@MoridinUK

From responses on here it seems like you cannot change the DNS servers on the HH itself.  This would be an issue for me if I needed to do it and so if this is the problem I guess I may have to buy a 3rd party router.

I will review again this evening - if the speed issues are apparent I will try the fixes suggested so far:

a) use google DNS

b) reset ECI modem to obtain a new external IP address from BT

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 54 of 115

Go to solution

My service seemed better last night, although I was late home and didn't have much time to test it.

I switch my HH3 off every night, so have a new IP address each day. The modem is left on to avoid DLM issues - one advantage of having two boxes.

It's definitely not a DNS issue that I'm seeing. I've never used BT DNS. The problem is with pages with lots of elements. Some simply aren't fetched. Pages themselves occasionally need to be refreshed to make them load. Images or CSS of may simply not load at random, and asynchronous pages are an issue as they can't be refreshed and just stop working. Classic signs of network congestion, I think.

I should add, as with a few posters, I'm also in Oxfordshire.

0 Ratings
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 55 of 115

Go to solution

There's been a lot of talk on this and other threads about switching DNS servers to improve or fix these connectivity issues.

However, there has also been mention of the fact that BT are intercepting DNS requests and redirecting for their own purposes. For example, see thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/DNS-hijacking/td-p/1417031/highlight/true

Can one of the mods, or somebody else with the required insider knowledge, please clarify this once and for all?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Grewer
Contributor
Message 56 of 115

Go to solution

@ianm1309- This is very interesting - it is unacceptable that BT redirect the traffic based on port.

I would also be interested to hear from the mods on this.

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 57 of 115

Go to solution

Interesting comments about interception of port 53 traffic. I run BIND on my computer, which will be why I haven't seen this. I'll have to do some tests with Google and BT DNS servers.

Perhaps this explains why changing DNS server does fix what is fundamentally a non-DNS issue, if it actually causes the traffic to be routed differently.

0 Ratings
grommit
Beginner
Message 58 of 115

Go to solution

Still seeing the problem today, don't notice it at all on http connections, only https, even this page took a few reloads to bring up.  I'm not in Oxfordshire like @jrawle and some of the other posters but Google Now often thinks I am and gives me the weather for Oxford.  I'm not a million miles away so it's feasable my traffic breaks out of the BT network somewhere in Oxfordshire....perhaps there's a trend building for the network team to look at?  Either way it's an absolute pain.

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 59 of 115

Go to solution

Most sites seem to think my IP address from yesterday is in Birmingham, so perhaps that's why I had a better service. (Strangely, one site says it is in Coleford, which is a small place near Gloucester.)

In general, sometimes I'm identified as Oxfordshore, but other times various places such as Milton Keynes or Birmingham. Perhaps reconnecting is the answer if I have issues again.

0 Ratings
Samarca
Beginner
Message 60 of 115

Re: Web connectivity issues over the last two days

Go to solution

Love the noddy instruction remark, best I've seen and heard of in a while...

0 Ratings