Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrawle
Contributor
Message 1 of 115

Web connectivity issues over the last two days

Go to solution

I've been having issues with certain websites over the last couple of days. It seems to be with specific websites, including Google Maps, and (ironically) the BT "MyBT" pages.

I'm certain it isn't my connection, as speedtests give the usual speed, and other websites work as usual, for example BBC News and iPlayer.

With the sites that are problematic, they just stall and don't load. Refreshing often causes them to load, although that's often not possible with modern asynchronous pages.

No fault is shown for my area, although it seems like a general network problem to me, not a local exchange one.

Is anyone else having such issues with the BT network at the moment?

114 REPLIES 114
Omniscient_Omega
Beginner
Message 2 of 115

Re: Web connectivity issues over the last two days

Go to solution

Hi Jrawle,

I have also been having the same sort of problems as you describe, including specific websites like gmail and youtube not loading. I have also been having problems with certain images on other websites not loading such as on Facebook and general google image searches. 

I have been having these problems over the last 2 or 3 days after not being able to access the internet at alll for about 3 days with the the light on the Home Hub 5 being a constant orange.

Would love to know if anyone else is having these problems and any solutions that may be availible. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 115

Go to solution

Have you tried a factory reset of hub using recessed button on back and holding 20/30secs until lights flash

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 115

Go to solution

Hi, join the gang, I've been having these problems since starting on infinity on 7th Jan!  old sky connection at 3.5mb was superfast and I wanted faster, hah what a joke!  Infinity gives me super fast measured download speed but page loads between 10 seconds to hours, this includes BT pages, bbc, youtube etc. can't connect to my office 365 account, bt speed test can't work as it claims the speed is too slow to register, chatline help suggests paying a BT tech to fix it, email help has not appeared after over a day, videos buffer slowly, some of my lovefilm won't even start and basically I regret ever going to BT.  All suggestions have been tried, resets, wifi changes, wire changes etc.

This forum page took five minutes to load despite the broadband speed test thinking my download speed was 32mb.

I've tried my mac and pc wired via ethernet and various devices wirelessly with equal rubbish response.

If anyone has an answer we want it quickly.

0 Ratings
Wooloff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 115

Go to solution

I've also been having issue wth certian sites being really slow or some even not working. 

The problem only started a couple of days ago for me. 

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 6 of 115

Go to solution

I have been on Infinity for nearly two years now, and it has always been excellent. Only over the last few days have I had any problems.

The only time it's been slow in the past is when Apple have released a major update. I'd like to think this was due to the iOS 8.1 update and soon it'll be back to normal, but that may be wishful thinking.

I don't want to phone BT support as they will just give me noddy instructions to diagnose problem on their script that would all be my fault.

0 Ratings
Grewer
Contributor
Message 7 of 115

Go to solution

I am having exactly the same issues.  My download test is fine and showing ~35Mbps connection however some pages take ages to load (whirly in progress bar) and some videos on YouTube won't play.  The way some sites are affected does seem like a routing/caching issue somewhere.

I have a HH4 and have had Infinity for around 18 months.  I have tried wired with everything else disconnected and this doesn't improve it.  A reset of the HH sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't.  Last week I was getting a 200ms  ping to bbc.co.uk!

My next door neighbour has Infinity and his seems unaffected.

I am hesitant to contact the help line for the same reasons you give.  I work in IT and can't cope with the step by step noddy stuff which doesn't tell them anything.  Are there any other methods of obtaining support?

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 8 of 115

Go to solution

To be honest, it has the signs of a congested network, it seems to me. Strange if your neighbours aren't affected, though.

I wonder, though, have any of you with recent problems after months of a great service recently agreed to a new contract (maybe with BT retentions) perhaps negotiating a lower monthly payment?

0 Ratings
Grewer
Contributor
Message 9 of 115

Go to solution

I haven't renegotiated.

With that said I was considering calling to ask as I am paying nearly £25/month for the Unlimited Infinity 1 which is £10/month for new customers!!!

The only thing holding me back is re-signing a 18 month contract for a service which is problematic. Sky Fibre is free for 6 months and then £20/month.  I could get Sky Fibre's 78Mb service for £30/month which is only £5 more than I am paying now.

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 10 of 115

Go to solution

You could call up asking for your MAC, giving the problems as your reason for leaving. They may then offer to connect you to a UK-based technical team. It's funny how customer service improves when they are trying to keep you.

Incidentally, they offered me a 12 month deal, not 18, which it good as it will still coincide with my Line Rental Saver. I know it's just a coincidence the problems started the day I saw my first bill with the new amount, but I like a good conspiracy theory!

0 Ratings