Just recently I noticed an ever increasingly frequent problem, when going to a website it would either take a long time to load the page or not load at all with errors saying Page not available.
Have tried on 3 PCs, 1 on Win 8.1, 1 on Win 7 & 1 business PC to which I have no admin access on Win 7 Enterprise.
I have found this problem on all common browsers (I.E., Chrome, Firefox).
However if I connect my business PC via VPN to my employers network there are no problems (internet access is from their servers not my local connection).
Speed tests show nothing abnormal still getting 18Mb up & 5Mb down, this has remained constant for the past 6 to 8 months.
This problem is also affecting my email in that the IMAP connection keeps timing out when sending & recieving.
Sometimes I get periods where all is normal but then suddenly things will slow down again.
Have tried router & DSL modem resets on numerous occaisions but no improvement.
I have searched the web for possible answers with no success.
If you are having the problem on more than one computer it would appear not to be a computer fault or your browser that is the problem.
The first thing I would do is a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems and will also give you a "clean sheet" to start some diagnostics from.
If this doesn't help please post what Infinity package you are on, I assume with 18Mbps it's Infinity 1 but please confirm, and do you have an Openreach modem and what homehub you have.
Also run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results
and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
Many thanks for the quick reply.
Yes I am on Infinity 1 unlimited, I have a BT HH4 with Openreach DSL modem.
As a test I have disabled the wireless on the HH4 & am just using wired connections, things are looking better, web pages have been loading OK.
I will continue for the remainder of the day just in case I am in a good period.
I will also test using the links you have provided & do a factory reset although I will need to rebuild port forwarding as I operate an IPPBX & FTP & Web server -- all tests have been carried out with these disconnected.
Everything is now reconnected (wired connections only) with no adverse results so far.
I will post test results later.
PS I am a VoIP network designer & engineer.
To rule out the Homehub altogether you could make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see how it performs. Obviously this will limit your home network but it helps to rule in or out the homehub being the problem.
Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem
Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port
Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network
Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE
Step5: Username firstname.lastname@example.org and the password as BT
Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.
Carried out factory reset, no change. All OK with wireless turned off & using wired connection!
Very strange. Tried manually changing WiFi channels only made things worse on some of the busier channels.
I think it may be time for a new HH.....
Just very strange that even on wireless my business laptop connected via VPN works fine, no problem loading web pages from either the company Intranet or the internet via their connection.
Very mixed messages from the various diagnostics so far carried out.
Have yet to try that, been very busy.
However with just the modem I can't check whether WiFi turned on affects it.
Will try modem only tonight when I can stop the missus spending money on Amazon & Ebay!!!!