cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nic1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Websites not connecting

Noticed last Friday that many websites stopped loading via Infinity service here. Spent 1.5 hrs on phone to BT going through all hub tests etc. Was promised a line re-set and that all would be well within 48 hours. Next day most websites were fine but some still not responding. Though this odd so asked our local community Facebook page whether anyone else was experiencing the same with BT. I went viral! Lots of people experiencing the same, some had no help from BT, others reporting BT admitting a major fault in the area.

Now 4 days later, some websites still not loading up (e.g. iTunes, Now TV, Sky Go). I've just spent another hour on the phone to BT before simply being cut-off.

Earlier today there was a status report of Infinity problems in our area on the BT website but that then showed as 'resolved' and has now disappeared.

I've just asked others if they're still experiencing problems via our community Facebook page again and it seems that some still are.

I don't understand why just some websites would not be working? Can anyone help? And I don't understand why BT don't simply admit they've got a major problem and channel resources into fixing it, rather than waste hours of their time and ours on the phone going through fixes that they know won't work.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Websites not connecting

I think is same problem and changing to google servers will help.  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/DNS/td-p/1418137

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nic1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Thank you but I'm afraid I don't understand DNS. Is there a layman's way of explaining what I should do? Or a way of getting BT to address a DNS problem? Thanks.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Try

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Windows 7
Go to the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. ...
Select the Networking tab. ...
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. ...
Click OK.

Just google it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

It might be worth trying flushing your DNS cache first. Click 'Start' and type cmd in the search box. Click on cmd.exe which will open a command prompt. Type ipconfig/flushdns and press return.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I have been having the same problem for 7 days now. I phoned first and was on the phone for over an hour. After that I have used the live chat option so I can save the transcripts. The problem is within their sever. I told them this the last two time I was on chat. They admitted it yesterday. I have been doing ping tests using different devices. They are blocking packets. You can even go into the help on the HH5 and check the event log and you will see there that it says blocked or invalid on the packets. It does it with all firewall rules off to. They have 24 hours left to fix this. I was told one lie after another, they even sent me out a new HH5 that had been used ( they should of phoned between 6 and 8 tonight about this but didn't).
0 Ratings
Nic1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Sounds very similar to my 'customer service' experiences. Appalling.

Why 24 hours left?

Will the DNS advice work if I attempt to research & understand it, or is this a case of waiting for BT to sort themselves out?

Don't know if this is localised but I'm in the South Leicestershire area.
0 Ratings
Nic1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Thank you.

If it was a DNS problem, would it be affecting all devices in the house that are having problems connecting to the same handful of websites (e.g. laptop, ipad (x2), iphone (x2) and Apple TV)?
0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

It's not localised. I have just changed the DNS on one of the IPads we have and it now updates Apps. We don't use our PC that much so most likely won't change that but the iPad was easy. Only had to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8. As for the 24 hours, that's all that's left of the 48 I was told it would be resolved as the best people are working on it. I have alwasy been happy with BT and the customer service in the past but this has made me wish I hadn't redone the contract's.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

The DNS is the server that you use to connect to the internet so all devices would be affected as its outside of your household. I am guessing it's some sort of software update they did or something on the server. Or someone used a DVD drive as a coffee holder and it just didn't work.
0 Ratings