Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Websites not connecting

You could always try disconnecting your hub from the phone line for a few minutes and then re-connecting. This will give you a different IP address and might also give you different DNS servers. There is not just one server, BT have multiple DNS servers and it is probably only one that is giving problems. It might not work as you might just pick up the same server again, but its worth a try.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Been there, done that and doesn't change a thing. Even done a factory reset.

0 Ratings
Nic1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Does anyone know of any number that we can call to get through to someone at BT in the UK who will listen to the issue, rather than insisting on spending over an hour plodding through their set list of 'fixes' that just don't work? Surely BT know that this is an issue?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

@Nic1 wrote:
Does anyone know of any number that we can call to get through to someone at BT in the UK who will listen to the issue, rather than insisting on spending over an hour plodding through their set list of 'fixes' that just don't work? Surely BT know that this is an issue?

BT will be aware of the issue, but how long they will take to fix it is another matter. Speaking to the call centre is a complete waste of time. In the short term (and in the long term if you wish) it is a simple matter to change the DNS servers that you use to the Google ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  Unfortunately the home hub is so nailed down that it is not possible to change DNS settings so you will have to change them individually on your devices.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Does this cause any security and speed issues using the public dns? I think I know the answer to this but is it worth shelling out for a better router and are any just plug and play to work with BT TV?
0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Going to find out if they are in breach of the contract.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Depends on your opinion of Google. I use Google DNS permanently. I also use the TP Link TD-W9980 modem/router which allows DNS servers to be set. I haven't got BT TV, but other posters have reported that it works fine with the latest firmware.

I don't believe the current problem can be widespread as there are very few posts of problems.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

I dont see why they can't sort out a working DNS as they get enough money off us paying customers.
0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 21

I just wanted to say that maybe the DNS issues aren't widespread but they should fix it.
I personally haven't had any issues with this BUT had issues with that VPN/games console issue this month which wasn't classed as widespread and was fixed in a few days.
Surely they can fix this fast enough.
Good luck.
Mark.
*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
DevilsAdvocate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

If you don't want to use Google, then you can use OpenDNS instead - I've used them for years and never had an issue (I used to be with Be and they were a great ISP but their DNS servers were as flaky as anything).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Microsoft MVP since 2004