cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyRs
Message 1 of 9

Weird broadband connection problem - help needed please

Hi,

I've got what seems a bit of a strange problem which I'm hoping someone can shed some light on please.

I have a desktop PC connected via cable to a BT Home Hub.  The hub is connected to an phone extension socket which is about 15 metres from the main socket, i.e. the one where the line comes into the house.  A phone is also connected to the extension socket.  My partner has a laptop which connects to the hub via wifi.

This set-up has worked fine for several years until last week when the broadband connection started to drop randomly and frequently.  Various things have been changed with no effect, including the main socket, part of the external line, the extension socket and cabling.  A series of trial and error experiments have revealed the weird thing which confuses me.

If I move my whole set-up - cabling, microfilters, extension socket, phone hub and so on -  to the room where the main phone socket is the hub stays connected to broadband without any problem.  If I keep everything the same but move the set-up back to the room where my desktop is the broadband takes ages to acquire a connection and starts dropping it again.  The only difference between the two situations is that the power supplies are plugged into a different gang socket in each room.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Weird broadband connection problem - help needed please

sounds like there is a problem with your extension cable causing noise on your line and stopping the router coonnecting - also causing disconnections due to the noise on the line.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

The bell wire, such a nasty little thing! It's always connected to terminal three, and can be a great little menace to your broadband, causing it to interfere greatly with the speed:

Here's a guide on how to take it out using the kits site (great site aswell!) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm .

0 Ratings
JeremyRs
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion Edd, I'll look at that.

Imjolly, I probably wasn't clear about the extension cable.  I replaced the existing one but at the moment I'm using the new one whether the set-up is in the desktop room or the other one.  The only difference is that its coiled up in the latter and stretched in the former!

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Here are some helpful (I actually did find them helpful!) tips from BT: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35079

There may also be some other stuff you wanna check out like what affects your broadband inside your home: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12666

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

then as edd said try removing the bellwire from the master socket and all extension sockets as it acts like an aerial for noise and is no longer reuired on modern phones

in general telephone extension cable is not normally recommended for your broadband connection.  better with a longer rj11 modem cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Love the teamwork IMJ 😉 Makes a change for some certain people posting over one another.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 8 of 9

and to add my 2p woth I seem to recall that coiled wire is more likely to induce internal interference than a fully uncoiled one so try uncoiling the new extension wire fully and see if that helps any, but as was mentioned best to not use that type iof thing in the first place not least since that are probably not twisted pair nor screened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
JeremyRs
Message 9 of 9

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.  I shall get stuck in!

0 Ratings