cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: Weird throughput 'problems'

There could be 100 different reasons why down to network routing/those particular servers etc.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 25

you need an absolute minimum of 3 db preferable 6db to guarantee stability squeezing the last bit of connection speed out of a line like yours is not needed you will hardly notice any difference
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 25

I understand that fact John.

What I'll do if I have the problem when I get home is reset my SNR slider to 100% (Which should reset the Noise Margin to ~6dB hopefully - The default SNR) and see if the problem still occurs.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 25

I got home tonight and wanted to get both problems sorted so what I did was replace the cable out of the XF-1e with another (BS6312 to RJ11) and plugged it into the Test Socket.

Now I didn't touch any of my SNR settings at all and I was quite amazed by the results when it synced up:

Down        Up

Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db

Believe it or not while I was writing the part above, my connection must have received a massive spike in interference (At 21:33) and I managed to catch the SNR being reported at -1.0 and about 50 CRC Errors per second (I observed the connection getting around 157 CRC errors an hour after I fiddled around with the Microfilter before the spike).

What on earth could cause a drop of 2dB within 2 seconds!?

Obviously my router has resynced at a lower rate. As it is now:

Down        Up

Connection Speed: 22874 kbps 1219 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.0 db 5.8 db

The throughput for the ThinkBroadband Files was stable around 1513KB/s before the spike so could it be a peering issue?

Other downloads from Apple and Rapidshare were downloading at 2.4-2.5MB/s (Downloaded Seperately).

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 25

at that very low noise margin any thing could cause a spike like that If you want to avoid that then you MUST increase the noise margin you are not going to lose out that much speed wise It is a matter of speed or stability only you can choose but i know what i would do
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 25

Thanks for the reply John.

Sometime today, my router resynced with a 4.0dB Noise Margin at 21,392Kbps :).

I left router stats going and noticed some sudden ups and downs throughout today. The SNR was stable until about 09:10 today when it rose to about 2.8dB:

Rise at 09.06.png

Then at 11:10 the SNR dropped to 0 and the line resynced:

Drop at around 11.10.png

And then at 12:51 the SNR dropped to 0 and then rose to 4dB (Along with a lower sync):

Rise at around 12.51.png

What could possibly be causing the SNR drops/rises? I'm guessing the rise at 09:10 was street lighting being switched off, but what could possibly be causing the others?

When I get home, I'll test the throughput speeds on files from ThinkBroadband and see if they are still a problem because the line has minimal errors with its low sync now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

your SNR is to low that is the cause it needs to be at 6db to give you a chance of a stable connection adsl2+ is very noise aggressive
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 25

I would watch again tomorrow and see if the drops occur at about the same time suggesting there is something switching on/off causing the interference and not just random spikes/troughs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 25

john46 I don't think noise margin need to be set at 6db but if it happens again at same time it's a matter of trying to identify what is causing the drop.  noise margin is ok if you can eliminate the interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 25

true I suggested it because of some earlier very low noise levels with the posters very high connection speed the increase of noise margin would hardly be noticed
0 Ratings