Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Welcome back to BT !

Unhappy with our old ISP we decided to go back to BT with promised faster speeds 6 months free etc. Tried to complete our order online could not complete the form before the page time out (twice), completed order on phone. Found out later that person taking our details copied the contact email address down wrong so we cannot access myBT (waiting for account details to come in post). Tuesday arrived home from work, letter in letter box - could not deliever your parcel, pick up from Royal Mail depot, picked it up and it says on the box "will fit through most letter boxes"(must have a non standard letter box). Set up our new shiny Homehub 4 as per instructions and nice blue light which says its working. Switched on my Acer netbook, wireless network found, connected and strength excellent, clicked internet "unable to display the page" (Google). Downloaded BT Desktop Help, did all it said, did not solve the wireless problem, rang hepdesk talked to an indian tecky, went through the whole process againr, he eventually admitted he could not fix the problem. Last night rang help desk again this time tecky took over my computer, checked everything again, still could not fix wirelees issue, sending out new replacement Homehub! So not such great welcome back to BT, can only surf the net via a cable, speed slower that our old ISP, hopefully the new Homehub will arrive tomorrow and will perform to our expectations or we will go elswhere - watch this space (oh and no date set for optic fibre in our area).

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Welcome back to BT !

Did you check if your wireless adaptor was set to have a fixed IP Address or a fixed DNS Server IP Address?  If so you could be stuck on values that worked with your old router and ISP but don't work anymore.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Is the Internet working ok using a cable?

Sorry but did you connect to your hub ssid using the wireless password supplied and not the btwifi ssid which is something different?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I would have thought the "tecky" checked that when he had control of my netbook?

0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I used the one on the card in the slot at the back of the Homehub 4.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

does internet work ok on ethernet?

it may be that you need to update your wireless card driver from the manufacturers website and not rely on windows update which can take a while before it catches up with manufacturers website

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

@martin1954 wrote:

I would have thought the "tecky" checked that when he had control of my netbook?

A good one would have checked every possibility.  A so-so one would have asked you for the wireless key on the back of the router but given up when that failed to work.  A bad one would have done nothing so would not have asked you for the wireless key.

0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

When a replacement Homehub 4 did not arrive, phoned BT - no record of replacement ordered typical, new hub arrived today, connected it up nice blue light but our two Acer netbooks still won't connect to the internet via wireless although status says connected and packets being sent but next to nothing being received, our Panasonic recorder, e-readers and mobiles connect once wireless key is entered, so it would appear that BT's Homehub is not faulty, checked the Atheros wireless adaptor driver, its the original dated 2008 so does it need to be updated? both netbooks worked fine wireless with the old router? have contacted Acer for an updated driver.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Is your laptop here http://download.cnet.com/802-11b-g-Atheros-Wireless-Lan-Driver-7-1-0-90-zip/3000-2112_4-162108.html

0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Downloaded drivers but windows returned "could not find information for your hardware" have contacted Acer who gave me link to their drivers, when analized same as the ones already shipped with the netbook! the BT Homehub 4 needs 11.b/g/n if I remember, but selecting a driver with that facility windows returned "not compatible with your hardware" I ignored it and selected it anyway, no difference netbook connects to router "packets being sent but none received" and Internet Explorer returns "uable to display web pages" ! I recently bought 2 Versus tablets and they connected to internet straightaway, looks like I will only be able use the netbooks to surf the net via cable - unless anyone has any other ideas?

0 Ratings